After months of speculation about who will stay and who will go, the expansion draft has finally arrived. And in true NHL fashion, this moment that we’ve all be waiting for be mixed into the NHL’s annual award show because mixing something that everyone is interested in with something that nobody cares about is a great way to make sure that nobody goes home happy. The NHL is a remarkable organization that seems dedicated to ensuring that their fans are a little confused as to what they’re doing.
For Oilers fans there is more to tonight that just a player being selected by the Vegas Golden Knights, tonight is about awards too, and these are things that the Oilers get nominated for now. Connor McDavid has already won one trophy we know that - the Art Ross as the leagues top scorer - and is up for the Hart and Ted Lindsay as well. The man behind him on the bench, Todd McLellan, is nominated for the Jack Adams, and Peter Chiarelli has a shot at taking home GM of the Year honours.
How to watch the 2017 NHL Expansion Draft & NHL Awards
8 p.m. ET / 5 p.m. PT | Wednesday, June 21
T-Mobile Arena, Las Vegas
Canadian TV: Sportsnet | American TV: NBCSN
2017 NHL Expansion Draft Rules
- Vegas will take one player — no more, or no less — from each existing team.
- They must select at least 14 forwards, nine defencemen and three goalies.
- 20 of the 30 players must be under contract in 2017-18.
- The cap hit of all players selected in the Expansion Draft must be somewhere between $43.8 million and $73 million.
2017 NHL Awards Finalists
- Hart Trophy (league MVP): Connor McDavid, Sidney Crosby, Sergei Bobrovsky.
- Norris Trophy (best defenceman): Brent Burns, Erik Karlsson, Victor Hedman
- Vezina Trophy (best goaltender): Sergei Bobrovsky, Braden Holtby, Carey Price.
- Calder Trophy (top rookie): Auston Matthews, Patrik Laine, Zach Werenski.
- Selke Trophy (best defensive forward): Ryan Kesler, Patrice Bergeron, Mikko Koivu.
- Lady Byng Trophy (most gentlemanly forward): Johnny Gaudreau, Vladimir Tarasenko, Mikael Granlund.
- Masterton Trophy (dedication / perseverance): Craig Anderson, Andrew Cogliano, Derek Ryan.
- NHL Foundation Award (community service): Wayne Simmonds, Travis Hamonic.
- Mark Messier Leadership Award: Nick Foligno, Ryan Getzlaf, Mark Giordano.
- Ted Lindsay Award (MVP as voted by the players): Brent Burns, Sidney Crosby, Connor McDavid.
- Jack Adams Award (best coach): Mike Babcock, Todd McLellan, John Tortorella.
- General Manager of the Year: Peter Chiarelli, Pierre Dorion, David Poile.
2017 NHL Awards Odds (via Bovada)
- Hart: Connor McDavid (2/13), Sidney Crosby (4/1), Sergei Bobrovsky (11/1).
- Norris: Brent Burns (1/5), Erik Karlsson (5/2), Victor Hedman (25/1).
- Vezina: Sergei Bobrovsky (1/4), Braden Holtby (11/5), Carey Price (22/1).
- Calder: Auston Matthews (1/20), Patrik Laine (11/2), Zach Werenski (18/1).
- Selke: Ryan Kesler (5/7), Patrice Bergeron (7/4), Mikko Koivu (15/4).
- Lady Byng: Johnny Gaudreau (1/1), Vladimir Tarasenko (1/1), Mikael Granlund (4/1).
- Jack Adams: Mike Babcock (5/7), John Tortorella (9/4), Todd McLellan (11/4).