Edmonton Oilers vs
05 August 2020
830 PM MST
Radio: 630 CHED
SB Nation Opponent: Second City Hockey
Connor McDavid scored a hat trick, the Oilers got timely goals from Tyler Ennis, Alex Chiasson and James Neal. Mikko Koskinen held it together as the Oilers doubled up the Blackhawks 6-3 on Monday night.
As the series now turns to a best-of-three, Game 3 is tonight. Whoever emerges victorious tonight can close the door on the series when Friday comes. I don’t care who wins, just don’t let it be Chicago.
Lets go to the tape.
THE OILERS ARES SAYING
“That’s probably the best game we’ve seen him play...Dynamic speed and acceleration. Wanted the puck all night and really brought something to the table for us”
That’s Oilers coach Dave Tippett on the play of Andreas Athanasiou in game 2.
Athanasiou had just 9:54 of even strength ice time in game 2, up from 8:37 on Saturday. Athanasiou was on the puck at every opportunity in game 2. Don’t be surprised to see him get a bump in minutes tonight.
THE BLACKHAWKS ARE SAYING
"That's what's fun about the playoffs–these highs and lows... We'll be excited to bounce back and have a better game in Game 3."— Chicago Blackhawks (@NHLBlackhawks) August 4, 2020
Patrick Kane after tonight's game. #Blackhawks pic.twitter.com/ijN4rNqEVf
That’s Patrick Kane after Chicago’s 6-3 loss to Edmonton on Monday night.
Oilers are spreading out the scoring, even after Connor McDavid’s three goal night. Will the Blackhawks have an answer tonight?
RYAN NUGENT-HOPKINS - CONNOR MCDAVID - JOSH ARCHIBALD
TYLER ENNIS - LEON DRAISAITL - KAILER YAMAMOTO
ANDREAS ATHANASIOU - RILEY SHEAHAN - ZACK KASSIAN
JAMES NEAL - JUJHAR KHAIRA - ALEX CHIASSON
OSCAR KLEFBOM - ADAM LARSSON
DARNELL NURSE - ETHAN BEAR
KRIS RUSSELL - MATTHEW BENNING
DOMINIK KUBALIK - JONATHAN TOEWS - BRANDON SAAD
ALEX NYLANDER - DYLAN STROME - PATRICK KANE
ALEX DEBRINCAT - KIRBY DACH - JOHN QUENNEVILLE
MATTHEW HIGHMORE - RYAN CARPENTER - DAVE HIGHMORE
DUNCAN KEITH - ADAM BOQVIST
CALVIN DE HAAN - CONNOR MURPHY
OLLI MAATTA - SLATER KOEKKOEK
HAVE SOME OF THIS
️ GO TO THE NET.— Edmonton Oilers (@EdmontonOilers) August 4, 2020
The Neal - Khaira - Chiasson line just RELENTLESS in the 3rd to seal this one.#LetsGoOilers pic.twitter.com/Qu8TneOwGs
- SECONDARY SCORING: McDavid had his hat trick, but the goals spread a little too. When you can get a line without the big guns on the scoresheet, your night has a much better chance of going well.
- DOUGHNUTS FOR THE PK: Oilers went from a 3/6 effort on the PK on Saturday to a 4/4 PK on Monday. Thumbs up.
- TWO AT SIX: Both Connor McDavid and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins have six points each in two games. Can all but guarantee that number increases tonight with Corey Crawford allowing ten goals over the last two games.
- MORE MINUTES FOR ARCHIBALD: Josh Archibald got a boost up top as he played over 20 minutes of total ice time, nearly 5 minutes while shorthanded. If Kailer Yamamoto is on the Tyler Ennis / Leon Draisaitl line, I think Archibald’s speed will keep him up the lineup for the time.
- NO KUBALIK? NO JUICE: Dominik Kubalik ran wild over the Oilers in game 1. A five point effort (2-3-5) left the Oilers scratching their heads en route to a 6-4 loss. Kubalik was held off the scoresheet in game 2, and the Oilers will likely continue to have success if he’s kept away from the net.
- NET GAINS: Corey Crawford will likely get the nod for Chicago again tonight (1-1-0, .844 SV% / 5.00 GAA). The Oilers ought to go with Mikko Koskinen once again (1-0-0, .911 SV% / 2.65 GAA). Unless Koskinen just gets the Dan Cloutier treatment tonight, I can’t imagine seeing Mike Smith until an if-necessary Game 5 on Saturday.
- ONE TO WATCH: Drake Caggiula will be back in the lineup today after serving a one-game suspension for his headshot on Tyler Ennis back in game 1. He’ll likely find his way back onto the third line with something to prove. Caggiula played eleven and a half minutes in game 1.
- Let’s get into the driver’s seat. A 2-1 series lead is where it’s at.