Edmonton Oilers (34-38-9) (7th, Pacific)
Calgary Flames (50-24-7) (1st, Pacific)
8 PM MDT
Radio: 630 CHED
TWO AIN’T ENOUGH
Even though the Sharks had just one win in their previous ten, it didn’t matter. The Oilers would get two goals from Leon Draisaitl, but it would not be enough in the end. Leon scored his 48th and 49th goals en route to a 3-2 loss to the San Jose Sharks on Thursday night. The Sharks would pick up goals from Brent Burns, Marcus Sorensen and Gustav Nyquist en route to a win.
The Oilers will wrap up their season with a visit to Calgary. The Flames have wrapped up the Pacific Division and are headed to the playoffs. The Oilers...will be there some day. Can the Oilers trip up the Flames on the final day of the regular season?
Let’s go to the tape.
The Oilers are saying
We all want to see him achieve that, especially being one goal away. Hopefully, he can get it on Saturday night. You saw in the third period, everyone was looking for him, and hopefully, he’ll get his chance on Saturday night as well.
That’s Oilers forward Milan Lucic on Leon Draisaitl’s 49 goal season.
Should Leon get to 50 goals tonight, it would be a bright spot on yet another dismal Oilers season. 50 goals this year, maybe the club goes out and acquires a 2RW to play alongside Leon in 2019-20? Crazy ideas, I know.
The Flames are saying
I like to be on the ice, I want to be out there, I want to be playing the game rather than sitting in the press box watching my teammates play. I feel rested. I feel ready to go.
That’s Flames forward Johnny Gaudreau after his club’s 3-1 loss to the Ducks on Wednesday.
Yeah, we all like ice time, John. Gaudreau scored his 98th point of the season when he assisted on Derek Ryan’s 13th goal of the season. Will he find points 99 and 100 tonight?
HAVE SOME OF THIS
All the hand-wringing over McDavid’s comments amuses me; people want him to expand on answers, and as soon as he does, there’s all this analysis about what he “really meant.”— Jack Michaels (@EdmontonJack) April 5, 2019
He’s pissed his team isn’t in the playoffs. That’s it.
- That’s Jack Michaels tossing some water on the fire. For now, I’m willing to believe Jack Michaels that McDavid is just upset that the Oilers have failed to make the postseason again. Let’s not revisit this moment next year and just make the playoffs. Nobody will have to hear about how unhappy Connor McDavid is if the club doesn’t miss the playoffs. Cool?
- FLAMIN’ HOT: This year is the first year since 1989-90 that the Calgary Flames have clinched the best record in the conference. They’ll face either the Dallas Stars or the Colorado Avalanche in round one.
- STAT CHASERS: Leon Draisaitl is one away from 50 goals on the season, which would cap an excellent season for him. Tobias Rieder is one goal away from one on the season, so I’m hoping for both tonight.
- NET GAINS: The Oilers will roll with Mikko Koskinen (24-21-6), .905 SV% / 2.97 GAA / 4 SO. The Flames will likely counter with David Rittich (27-9-5, .911 SV% / 2.61 GAA / 1 SO)
- SICK BAY: Jesse Puljujarvi (hip surgery) is out, while Kyle Brodziak (undisclosed) and Jujhar Khaira (undiscsoed) are day to day. For Calgary, Sam Bennett (undisclosed) is day-to-day