The first round is coming precipitously to a close. Two game 7s are in the books.
We’re halfway through the week, let’s dive into the ‘links.
- The Boston Bruins scored twice in the first period and three more times in the third. The Leafs had a lone goal from John Tavares to cut the lead to 2-1 in the second, but Boston blew it wide open in the third. The Bruins took care of the Maple Leafs and are moving on to the second round after a 5-1 exclamation point at home, and will face the Blue Jackets tomorrow. (Stanley Cup of Chowder)
- Up 3-0 midway through the third, Controversy erupted after Vegas’ Cody Eakin picked up a five minute major penalty and a game misconduct for cross-checking San Jose’s Joe Pavelski. The Sharks would score four on the ensuing major power play, eventually taking the game to overtime. With two minutes remaining in the first overtime, Barclay Goodrow was there. (Fear the Fin)
- Plenty of good teams have had undesirable first round exits. Tampa, Calgary and Vegas were thought to make deep playoff pushes (okay, maybe not Calgary) only to be bounced in the first round. The Oilers ought to pay attention to see if these teams are ready to make a bad move in an attempt to overcorrect. (Copper and Blue)
- The Oilers need a backup netminder going into the 2019-20 season. Don’t tell anyone, but they might need a starting netminder going into the 2019-20 season, too. Baby steps. (Oilers Nation)
- How many goals can we expect from our current crop of forwards? Plus, who should the Oilers target in free agency? Where’s our coin purse? (Lowetide)
One more game 7 tonight (Caps/Canes), then it’s off to Round 2 tomorrow. Who do you got?