First round playoff hockey has been pretty entertaining so far. What’s not to like? Calgary tossed their cookies, the Blue Jackets shocked everyone by taking Tampa in four straight, the Islanders put the moves on the Penguins, and the Blues took out the Jets in six games. Not bad for a team that was in last place at one time this season.
There are three game sevens in round one. We’ve still got a ways to go.
Here are your Tuesday morning hot links.
- The Dallas Stars shut the door on the Nashville Predators in six games. John Klingburg scored the OT winner with three minutes remaining in overtime, Ben Bishop turned aside 47 of 48 shots, and the Stars will play the St. Louis Blues in the second round. (Defending Big D)
- Another controversial no-goal call may have turned the tide in yesterday’s Carolina Hurricnaes / Washington Capitals tilt, but it would be the Carolina Hurricanes that scored three unanswered goals in the third period to take a 5-2 win in game six. The Capitals and Hurricanes will face off in Washington for a game 7 on Wednesday. (Canes Country)
- We’re not even out of the first round yet, but I took a look at the Oilers’ cap situation coming in 2019-20. Spoiler: It would help if they could free up, oh, I don’t know...say, six million dollars this year and for the next three after that. (Copper and Blue)
- Alex Chiasson was a nice surprise for the Edmonton Oilers in 2019-20, scoring 22 goals on the season. At 650K, he’s also likely be swimming in dollars by the time July runs around. After losing two top six wingers in the last couple of years, the wings are pretty bare in Edmonton. How many wingers do the Oilers need to sign? (Oilers Nation)
- There’s been a lot of turnover on the Edmonton Oilers since Peter Chiarelli was named GM. Can the new GM shore it all up in one offseason? (Lowetide)
Two game sevens tonight: The Leafs visit Boston, plus Sharks / Golden Knights. It will be interesting to see the offseason path that Vegas takes if they drop game 7 to the Sharks.