Edmonton Oilers (34-34-8) (6th, Pacific)
Dallas Stars (40-31-6) (4th, Central)
7 PM MST
TV: Sportsnet West
Radio: 630 CHED
EIGHT WAS GREAT
A hat trick for Ryan Nugnet-Hopkins, a hat trick for Leon Draisaitl. Four points for Connor McDavid, and the Edmonton Oilers doubled up the Los Angeles Kings by an 8-4 score. Nugent-Hopkins had his hat trick completed in the first period, while Leon picked up his third goal on the power play in the third. The Oilers chased Jonathan Quick after four goals, replacement Jack Campbell didn’t have much of a good time in relief.
The Oilers host Dallas in tonight’s matchup. The Stars are holding on to the first wild card position in the Western Conference. Can the Oilers pick up where they left off last game?
Let’s go to the tape.
The Oilers are saying
I’m happy for both of them. I’m not sure if I have seen two teammates get hat tricks in the same game, other than maybe in minor hockey. That was pretty cool.
That’s Connor McDavid on teammates Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Leon Draisaitl both picking up hat tricks in Edmonton’s 8-4 win over Los Angeles on Tuesday.
When’s the last time two Oilers scored hat tricks in the same game?
The Stars are saying
Huge. It was a pretty greasy win but this time of the year it doesn’t really matter how it looks. I think the end result is the big thing and we’re getting out of here with two points.
That’s Stars forward Jamie Benn on his club’s 2-1 win over the Calgary Flames last night.
The Stars are holding on tight to the first wild-card slot. They are ahead of Colorado by three points, and they lead the Coyotes (who are currently outside looking in) by five. A win over Edmonton tonight would all but seal the deal for Dallas.
HAVE SOME OF THIS
As part of fan appreciation night tomorrow the Oilers will be giving everyone in attendance a coupon of an A&W Beyond Meat Sausage & Egger. The Oilers may be trying to tell us that they actually hate their fans.— Ryan Batty (@ryan_batty) March 27, 2019
- FAN APPRECIATION! It’s fan appreciation night, and all of you are so very much appreciated. I asked everyone on Twitter what the Oilers ought to do for Fan Appreciation Night. What should they do?
- MILESTONES IN REACH: Connor McDavid needs two goals to reach 40 on the season. Leon needs just one more point to reach 100 points on the season. Hey, now seems like a good time for a stat!
In case you're wondering, if Draisaitl and McDavid get 100 pts and Oilers miss playoffs, Oilers would be 3rd team in history--88 Nords (Stastny and Goulet) and 90 Pens (Lemieux and Coffey)--to have that happen— Jim Matheson (@NHLbyMatty) March 26, 2019
- The Stars are holding on to their wild card spot pretty tightly right now, but they’ve struggled to put the puck in the net. They rank third worst in the league in goals scored per game (2.53 GPG), but they are second best in goals allowed (2.44 GA/G). Only the New York Islanders have kept fewer pucks out of the net.
- GAMBARDELLA MAKING THE MOST OF IT: Joseph Gambardella now has three assists in his last three games. He might be a dark horse candidate to earn a one year deal next season if he keeps making smart hockey plays like he did on Leon Draisaitl’s third goal on Tuesday night.
- SO YOU’RE SAYING THERE’S A CHANCE: Moneypuck has the Oilers at a 1.28% chance of making the playoffs. That number goes up with a win, right?
- NET GAINS: Anton Khudobin will start for the Stars tonight (14-16-4, .924 SV% / 2.53 GAA / 2 SO). Khudobin came on for Ben Bishop in Dallas’ 2-1 victory over Calgary after Bishop suffered a lower body injury in the second period. The Oilers will counter with Mikko Koskinen, who will be looking for his 24th win of the season (24-18-5, .908 SV% / 2.90 GAA / 4 SO).
- SICK BAY: Jesse Puljujarvi is out for the Oilers as he recovers from double hip surgery. For Dallas, Ben Bishop is day-to-day with a lower body injury. Mats Zuccarello can’t buy a break and is day-to-day with an arm injury. Forward Tyler Pitlick is out (wrist), forward Brett Richie is day-to-day (hand)