Edmonton Oilers (16-8-3) 1st, Pacific vs
Vancouver Canucks (12-10-4) 5th, Pacific
01 December 2019
800 PM MST
TV: CBC, Sportsnet
Radio: 630 CHED
Lots happened in last night’s 5-2 loss.
- Connor McDavid had a hand in on both Oiler goals. McDavid had Edmonton’s first goal (too bad they were down 2-0 already), and he assisted on Zack Kassian’s 9th of the year to tie it up early in the second period at 2-all. Great!
That about wraps it up for the good.
- Mike Smith did not have a good night, again. Smith yielded five goals on 38 Vancouver shots, and is out day-to-day with an injury. How was he able to sustain an injury and finish the game?
Smith was hurt on Pearson's second goal in middle period where Smith had his pad against the post and Pearson lifted puck in. He was flexing leg after that.— Jim Matheson (@NHLbyMatty) December 1, 2019
- The Oilers went down 3-2 after Tanner Pearson’s second goal. I’m a little old fashioned, but maybe goaltenders shouldn’t be remaining in the net after they’ve injured themselves, hey?
- Now’s the time for Mikko Koskinen to get some consecutive starts in. I wrote about how it was time for Mikko Koskinen to start receiving a little bit more work. With Smith out for the interim, it now becomes more of a necessity than a want. Smith hasn’t had a great run recently, it’s time for Mikko Koskinen to snatch the starter’s position.
- Goaltender Stuart Skinner has been recalled after Mike Smith’s day-to-day designation.
- ALSO OUT: Zack Kassian is day-to-day with an upper body injury. Joakim Nygard will likely draw back in during Kassian’s absence. Nygard has been a healthy scratch for the last three games.
- MATT’S BACK: Matt Benning is back after a handful of games off. He’ll be on the third pair with Caleb Jones. Kris Russell is out as he is back in Edmonton for the birth of his second child.
Ugly game all around on Saturday. The Oilers are currently first in the Pacific and it’s December 1st. Arizona is just one point behind them with an equal amount of games played. Can the Oilers bounce back with a big two points tonight?