Edmonton Oilers vs.
7 PM MST
TV: Oilers TV (AB/SK/NWT/NU)
Radio: 630 CHED
Ty Rattie had three goals and Jesse Puljujarvi had two. The Oilers handled the Canucks by a 6-0 score at home on Tuesday. Cam Talbot turned all 35 of Vancouver’s shots, and it was fun to pretend like this game wasn’t a preseason contest. Though it doesn’t count for much in the standings, taking the Canucks to task always feels good. Always.
The Oilers will make six more cuts between now and the season’s start. Who will hang on? We’ll likely learn a little bit more after tonight’s game against the Arizona Coyotes.
Let’s go to the tape.
The Oilers are saying
He brings out the little kid in me sometimes...I don’t think he’s doing it for any other reason other than that’s his personality
That’s Oilers forward Ryan Strome on teammate Jesse Puljujarvi. Puljujarvi has had a fine preseason (he’s got four goals in four games) where he’s spent significant time on what could become the third line this year. The third line’s been comprised of Ryan Strome, (or Ryan McLeod), Jesse Puljujarvi and a mix of Tobias Rieder, Jujhar Khaira and Drake Caggiula. I’m sure there’s someone else I’m forgetting. What’s the point? Puljujarvi looks good so far. Maybe he and Strome form a scoring third line, which is the kind of third line I want to see.
The Coyotes are saying
The last couple years he has been top-10 in the entire NHL in even-strength goals...He’s done that without playing the most minutes or without playing the easiest minutes.
That’s Coyotes General Manager John Chayka on new acquisition Michael Grabner.
Grabner had 27 goals in 2017-18 and can play either wing. He signed a one year deal with the Coyotes valued at 3.35MM. Not bad.
HAVE SOME OF THIS
Based on practice.— Bob Stauffer (@Bob_Stauffer) September 27, 2018
EDM vs ARI:
- This looks like a nearly complete roster for the Oilers. The only question marks I see here are the 4RW spot (could very well be Kassian) and the third pair. The 3RD spot could be Evan Bouchard, it could be Ethan Bear. Jason Garrison is still here, which makes me believe that the Oilers could have him in the 7th/8th defenceman plan.
- Ryan McLeod was sent back to Mississauga after a great camp. Patrick’s got the details. Only five more cuts to be made before the season starts.
- The top line is probably going to make some noise. Ty Rattie has been having himself a time alongside Connor McDavid, he’s got ten points (3-7-10) in three games so far.
- Kailer Yamamoto is on the second line with just a little bit more than a week until regular season. I don’t see how he doesn’t make this club.
- The third line is one of interest. Jesse Puljujarvi’s averaging a goal per game (he’s played in four preseason contests so far), can he and Ryan Strome make some magic this year?
- Al Montoya hasn’t started a game yet, and it wouldn’t surprise me to see him get the nod either tonight or on Saturday versus the Flames. It wouldn’t surprise me to see the club hold onto three goaltenders (sort of a 2A/2B scenario) with Mikko Koskinen and Al Montoya until they feel they’re sure as to what they’ve got.