8:30 PM MST
TV: Sportsnet (NHL-Network / USA)
Radio: 630 CHED
Edmonton got two goals from Kailer Yamamoto en route to a 7-4 preseason victory over their provincial rivals in Calgary last night. Ryan McLeod and Tyler Benson both had a pair of assists. Evan Bouchard and Ethan Bear each had a goal, and the goaltending tandem of Mikko Koskinen and Shane Starrett held together long enough to earn the Oilers a win in their first full preseason contest.
The Oilers are in Vancouver tonight with what will likely be a vastly different lineup. We might even see some of the first team out there in Vancouver. Maybe we’ll even see freshly signed Darnell Nurse.
Let’s go to the tape.
The Oilers are saying
I thought we had real good performances from some young players...We also had some pretty solid performances from some veterans who provided leadership when we needed in the game.
That’s Oilers head coach Todd McLellan after his team’s 7-4 victory in Calgary last night.
Preseason victories don’t count for too awful much, but I’d rather have the moral victories at the beginning of the year instead of around American Thanksgiving. I’ll take a preseason victory over the Flames any day of the week.
The Canucks are saying
I’m just excited to play games again, coming off my injury, it’s been a while...I’m really excited to get into a game and get my confidence back, play the game I want to play, get some scoring chances and put a few in.”
That’s Canucks forward Brock Boeser on finally getting to play some preseason hockey. Boeser had missed the remainder of the 2017-18 NHL season getting shut down on March 5th due to back and wrist injuries.
HAVE SOME OF THIS
- Admit it, everyone kind of looked at each other after Mikko Koskinen allowed the first goal on the first shot in last night’s game. We’ll count that game as getting the jitters out. Koskinen finished with sixteen saves on nineteen shots.
- NOTEWORTHY: Kailer Yamamoto will make the big club (and for more than 9 games) if he plays like he did last night. Three points (2-1-3) including a very pretty shorthanded goal.
- Evan Bouchard scored his first preseason goal on a nice feed from Tyler Benson. Ryan McLeod was also in with a helper.
- This game’s on TV tonight. Even if you’re in Ontario. Even if you’re in Newfoundland. Or Texas.
#Oilers D pairings are projected to be Garrison-Benning, Jones-Russell, Lowe-Jerabek & Lagesson extra, while the expected goalies are Talbot & Montoya.— Edmonton Oilers (@EdmontonOilers) September 18, 2018
- OFFENSIVELY: Good things from the McLeod / Yamamoto combination last night. Though they’ve been relegated to the preseason fourth line, it’s good to see that combo together again.
- I don’t know what kind of miles the club expects to get out of Ty Rattie next to Cooper Marody tonight.
- Jujhar Khaira / Ryan Strome / Jesse Puljujarvi could very well be a third line combination during the regular season. You’ll get a dose of it tonight.
- BLUE CREW - Jason Garrison was invited to Oilers camp on a PTO. His best days are probably left in Tampa Bay, he’ll get a chance to show he’s got some gas left in the tank with Matthew Benning.
- NET GAINS: First look for Cam Talbot this season. He’ll probably be good for a couple of periods. Here’s a player that’s absolutely got to be lights out for the Oilers this season.