Calgary Flames (35-33-10), (5th, Pacific)
Edmonton Oilers (34-38-6) (6th, Pacific)
8 PM MT
Radio: 630 CHED
Connor McDavid scored a goal for his 103rd point against the Vancouver Canucks on Thursday night. Unfortunately for the Oilers, that’d be their only goal they’d muster against a Canucks team with half of the team’s players out with various ailments. The Oilers would allow just two goals this game, but couldn’t solve Canucks goaltender Jacob Markstrom.
This is the last Battle of Alberta for the 2017-18 season. In just over a week, we’ll shift gears to the offseason. For now, it’s time to get up one more time.
Let’s go to the tape.
The Oilers are saying
“When we fall behind on this team they check well, they are really good through the neutral zone and I thought Markstrom had an exceptional game. Not an awful game by us but a game where the opportunities that presented themselves needed to be finished, and they weren’t.”
That’s Oilers head coach Todd McLellan on his club’s 2-1 loss to Vancouver on Thursday night.
Jacob Markstrom had 35 saves for the Canucks, which isn’t a bad outing. The Oilers’ only goal was scored by Connor McDavid, his 41st goal of the season.
The Flames are saying
“It’s hard when you start losing games and you don’t score a ton; it’s hard to get out of a slump. We’ve just got to keep going. There are no other answers other than keep going, keep competing, shooting pucks, get to the net, keep grinding and hopefully eventually they’ll go in”
That’s Flames forward Mikael Backlund after Calgary’s 5-1 loss to the Blue Jackets on Thursday.
The Flames have lost seven straight games and will miss the playoffs.
Have some of this
Nugent-Hopkins iffy for Flames with nagging lower-body issue, Benning (upper-body) likely out. Might see Draisaitl on LW in RNH's spot if he doesn't play— Jim Matheson (@NHLbyMatty) March 30, 2018
- Appearing on the third line today: Cattle Prod
- Keegan Lowe has been recalled from Bakersfield.
- Spencer Foo will make his NHL debut tonight for the Calgary Flames. He’s had 37 points (20-17-37) in 59 games for Stockton.
- How many more points for Connor tonight? I’ll throw a dart and say three (1-2-3). That’s why we’re playing these games right now, yeah?
- STREAKS: Did I mention that Calgary has no points in their last seven games? 0-7-0? Alright, just checking. Yes, I did. I just did again. They’ve scored just eight goals over the course of seven games, they’ve been shutout three times. Kind of impressive.
- Expect Cam Talbot to start tonight for the Oilers. (29-29-3, .907 SV%, 3.02 GAA / 1 SO). Mike Smith (24-22-6, .916 SV% / 2.66 GAA / 3 SO) ought to get the nod for the Flames.
- Seven losses in a row! That’s a lot of losses!
- SICK BAY: Oscar Klefbom (shoulder) is out for the season. Travis Hamonic T.J. Brodie and Matthew Tkachuk are all day-to-day with various ailments. Sean Monahan and Kris Versteeg are also out.