That’s point number 103 for Connor McDavid on the season. It is the lone highlight of the game, as it would be Derrick Pouliot who would skate in untouched for the game winning goal early in the third period.
Former Oiler Sam Gagner found his way onto the score sheet midway through the second period on a rebound. That’s it. There’s nothing else to write. Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encore.
SIM TO END OF SEASON
We’re playing out the string here. After Saturday’s game against the Flames (who will also be missing the playoffs), you can’t hit the fast-forward button fast enough. The Canucks are a team who have a legitimate chance at winning next month’s draft lottery, their leading scorer is injured, their defence is compiled of players who I initially thought were varieties of cheeses.
The Oilers were able to score just one goal through it all. Credit to Jacob Markstrom for a 35 save performance, but scoring one goal on a Canucks team that has trouble keeping them out of the net isn’t going bring home the bacon.
- 103 points for Connor McDavid. Could you even imagine what this year would look like without him? Me neither.
- There are four more games in the year, and I’d like to see Jesse Puljujarvi in the top six at some point here. I got a good look at Ty Rattie. I’d like another look at 98. Eleven minutes on the Lucic-Strome line?
- Why is Milan Lucic the extra skater as time expires? The guy’s got one goal in 40 games. I realize I’m trying to blot out these games from my memory, but wouldn’t you put a guy on the ice who might be able to get this club a goal? Just a thought?
- Nine minutes for Jujhar and the rest of the fourth line.
- A not-too-surprising 0/2 on the power play. I’d like to know what Ryan Strome is doing that warrants him getting a significant cut of ice with the man advantage.
- Cam Talbot would probably want the Gagner goal back, but otherwise a fine performance after the episode against Columbus.
We’ve got four more to go. The Oilers will face off against Calgary on Saturday night for the final time this season.