San Jose Sharks (37-23-9), (2nd Pacific)
Edmonton Oilers (30-35-4) (6th, Pacific)
TV: Sportsnet West, Sportsnet One
Radio: 630 CHED
Oilers were in Calgary last night looking to play spoilers to the Flames’ playoff bid, but were unable to put up any goals at all. Calgary took a second period goal by Johnny Gaudreau and rode it to the end. Talbot had a fine night, a goal by Zack Kassian was blown dead.
The Flames are two points away from a playoff spot. The Oilers...have thirteen more games remaining in the season. One of them is tonight against San Jose.
Let’s go to the tape.
The Oilers are saying
“We knew we were going to get a desperate team that needs every point possible. You could see at the very end guys laying down and blocking shots. We knew we were going to get their best tonight, and they got a really good game from us as well. It was a good old-fashioned ‘Battle of Alberta,’ but we came out on the wrong end of this one”
That’s Oilers goaltender Cam Talbot on Edmonton’s 1-0 loss at Calgary last night.
A fine effort by Talbot in last night’s 1-0 loss, a weird bounce off of Darnell Nurse’s skate gave Johnny Gaudreau the puck while he was atop Talbot’s crease.
The goal is Johnny Gaudreau’s 80th point of the season.
The Sharks are saying
“This whole homestand we could have started a little bit better, but it didn’t really stop us from playing and competing, and we found ways to win games. Tonight, we understood that if we win this game, it would be a pretty successful homestand. That’s what we did. Now we can leave with a little momentum and take this game on the road”
That’s Sharks captain Joe Pavelski on his club’s 5-3 victory over Detroit on Monday.
The Sharks get some much-needed breathing room in the crowded Pacific Division. At 83 points, they’ve got one more point (and a game in hand) over the third place LA Kings. Will they be able to make some more room after tonight’s game with the Oilers?
Have some of this
Klefbom will play tonight vs SJ. Sounds like he’ll have a procedure done soon to “clean up” shoulder; at that point he’ll be out for the rest of the season.— Jack Michaels (@EdmontonJack) March 14, 2018
- What am I even reading?
- NO POINTS - No points for anyone wearing an Oiler sweater last night. This keeps Connor McDavid at 84 points with 13 games to go.
- The Sharks rank 14th in goals per game (2.88), they’re 9th overall in goals allowed (2.70). Their ninth ranked power play hums along at 21.2%, while their PK ranks first overall in the league at 84.9%.
- A perfect 2/2 on the PK last night, Edmonton’s PK is still dead last at 74.6%. Philadelphia’s PK sits idle at 74.7%. Give me this.
- Wouldn’t be surprised to see Al Montoya tonight (2-1-1, .894 SV%, 3.15 GAA). Martin Jones (23-18-6, .917SV%, 2.74 GAA, 4 SO) is likely for the Sharks.
- SICK BAY: Klefbom is a go for Edmonton. For the Sharks, Joe Thornton (knee) is out, along with Joel Ward (upper body). Melker Karlsson (lower body) is day-to-day.