Edmonton Oilers (27-31-4) (7th, Pacific)
San Jose Sharks (33-21-9) (2nd, Pacific)
TV: Sportsnet Oilers
Radio: 630 CHED
The Oilers are now on the other side of the trade deadline, and they’ve sold off their expiring assets. Gone are Mark Letestu, Brandon Davidson and Patrick Maroon. In are Pontus Aberg, 2019 Third Round Draft Pick and his brother, 2019 Third Round Draft Pick. The Sharks were in “buy now” mode, and ended up sending a couple of draft picks and a prospect to Buffalo for Evander Kane. Both teams will meet tonight in San Jose as the Sharks look to put some distance between themselves and the rest of the Pacific Division.
Let’s go to the tape.
The Oilers are saying
“We have to figure out what makes little differences like that, finishing off and closing off teams at the end”
That’s Oilers goaltender Al Montoya on Edmonton’s 6-5 victory over the Ducks on Sunday.
I’ve got it.
If someone wants to plug Lucic’s controller back in, that’d be appreciated.
Five more years.
The Sharks are saying
“Evander is one of the top young power forwards in the NHL. He is a dynamic player who has a unique combination of size, grit, speed and goal-scoring ability...We wanted to add a player that could help this team but also was just hitting his prime. We feel that Evander fits both of those needs and we see this as a great opportunity for him to get to know our group and the city of San Jose”
That’s Sharks GM Doug Wilson after adding Evander Kane on the trade deadline.
Kane has 40 points (20-20-40) in 61 games with the Sabres this year. The Sharks sent two draft picks (a 2019 2nd, a 2019 4th) and a prospect. The 2019 2nd turns into a first round pick if Evander Kane re-signs with San Jose this offseason, or the Sharks witn the Stanley Cup.
Have some of this
Ray Shero said price for Patrick Maroon came down in "the last 10 minutes."— Andrew Gross (@AGrossRecord) February 26, 2018
- I asked for magic beans in an earlier game post last week, and magic beans I got. A third round selection in 2019 and J.D. Dudek.
- At least Chiarelli didn’t trade Nugent-Hopkins or Oscar Klefbom. Yet.
- The Oilers are putting their 3 game win streak up against the Sharks tonight.
- PONTUS: Pontus Aberg was the return for Mark Letestu, and Aberg has the best shot at seeing some regular minutes on the club. Aberg has eight points in 37 games with Nashville this year, and he’ll likely get every audition he can to see if he can stick with the big club in 2018-19. I laugh about it now, but it would not surprise me at all to see him on the top line with Connor McDavid in the next little while. Who are they gonna put there, Lucic?
- NET GAINS: Cam Talbot will likely go tonight (22-23-2, .904SV%, 3.09 GAA / 1 SO). Martin Jones (19-16-6, .917 SV% / 2.52 GAA / 3 SO) is likely for the Sharks.
- SICK BAY: Edmonton is without Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (ribs), The Sharks are without Joe Thornton (knee), Joel Ward (upper body) and Justin Braun (sick)