Edmonton Oilers (7-4-1) (3rd, Pacific)
Detroit Red Wings (4-7-2) (7th, Atlantic)
Little Caesars Arena
5 PM MST
Radio: 630 CHED
ON THE ROAD AGAIN
After a disappointing loss to the Wild on Tuesday night, the Oilers scored four goals against Cam Ward and the Blackhawks on Thursday. Mikko Koskinen picked up his second win and first shutout of the season by turning aside 40 shots from Chicago. Drake Caggiula scored two goals. Even Jason Garrison got in on the action. The Oilers are currently in third place in the Pacific Division and they’re heading out on the road for the next four games. First stop? Detroit. The Red Wings have just four wins in thirteen games this season. Can the Oilers start this road trip off right?
Let’s go to the tape.
The Oilers are saying
“Honestly, I only care if we win or lose, so it feels good because we won”
That’s Oilers goaltender Mikko Koskinen on his 40 save performance against Chicago on Thursday night.
A shutout is a pretty good way to get doubters (like myself) to start thinking otherwise. Koskinen didn’t have a strong preseason, but a 40-save shutout? It’s enough to make me want to see another couple of games. It’s Koskinen’s second win in as many games. Good stuff.
The Red Wings are saying
“We had a good practice, had a good skate. Did some more battle stuff in the corner and it felt good...I’m going to give it a go tomorrow and take it from there. It’s feeling good”
That’s Red Wings defenceman Danny DeKeyser on getting back into the lineup. He’s been limited to five games with a hand injury.
The Oilers are missing several key players for today’s matchup. More on those players in a couple of bullet points.
HAVE SOME OF THIS
- GETTING TO DRAKE - Drake Caggiula had himself a game to forget against Minnesota on Tuesday. He had an equally opposite game on Thursday against Chicago. Caggiula scored the game’s first goal just eighteen seconds into the second period, only to follow it up with a shorthanded goal early on in the third. It’s probably a fair bet you’ll see him on the first line today with Connor McDavid and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
- There’s been a fair bit of movement for the club over the last 24 hours. Ty Rattie is quite possibly ready to be reinserted into the lineup today. Rattie has missed time since October 18th with an oblique injury. Rattie might find himself on the fourth line, I don’t see how they’re going to peel Caggiula off the top line after the game he had on Thursday. To make room for Rattie, the Oilers assigned Cooper Marody (0 pts in 2 games) back to the Condors. Defenceman Kevin Gravel was recalled from Bakersfield after the Oilers assigned Evan Bouchard back to London.
- NET GAINS: It's Mikko Koskinen in goal today for the Oilers today. Look for Jimmy Howard (3-5-2, .906 SV% / 3.06 GAA) to get the nod for Detroit.
- SICK BAY: Andrej Sekera (ankle) is out for the Oilers. The Red Wings will be without Thomas Vanek (lower body), Frans Nielsen (undisclosed), Andreas Athanasiou (undisclosed), Johan Franzen (concussion) and Jonathan Ericsson (undisclosed).
- LINES: Same as Chicago. #GOILERS