Edmonton Oilers (9-8-1) (5th, Pacific)
Calgary Flames (10-8-1) (3rd Pacific)
8 PM MST
Radio: 630 CHED
BACK ON TRACK?
The Edmonton Oilers snapped their four game losing streak with a 6-2 win against the Canadiens on Tuesday night. Coach McLellan reunited Cononr McDavid back with Leon Draisaitl on the top line, it paid dividends immediately. Both McDavid and Draisaitl had three point nights en route to a big win over the Habs. The Oilers also got goals from Matt Benning, Drake Caggiula, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Kris Rusell and Darnell Nurse en route to picking up a win. Oilers are going to need secondary scoring if they want to be successful this season.
Edmonton is about to play a slew of games in the Pacific Division. They’d be wise to win the majority of them if they want to be serious about the second season in April. Today? It’s a visit to Calgary. Can Edmonton emerge with a W in this edition of the Battle of Alberta?
Let’s go to the tape.
The Oilers are saying
He gave me a call right after it happened and I was surprise...We chatted and I told him how excited I was to get there and he said the same thing. Hopefully I can get back to playing the game I know I can play.
That’s newly-acquired forward Ryan Spooner on getting dealt to the Oilers for Ryan Strome. Spooner was acquired Friday afternoon from the New York Rangers.
We’ll dive a bit more into the Spooner acquisition over the next day or so here at Copper and Blue, but it’s very interesting to note that Spooner was a Chiarelli product from back in Boston. Drafted in the second round of the 2010 entry draft, Spooner will try to make an impact on the roster as soon as today.
The Flames are saying
I’m looking forward to it, it’s probably going to be my first big rivalry game in the NHL.
That’s Noah Hanifin on playing the Oilers tonight.
HAVE SOME OF THIS
- There will be significant changes to the roster compared to Tuesday night’s game. Patrick Russell has been called up, there’s a fair shot you’ll see him somewhere on the bottom six. With Tobias Rieder out for a month due to an upper body injury, there’s good chance you’ll see Caggiula back at 1LW. More on that after morning skate.
- A complete guess at this point, but I’d expect to see Ryan Spooner in the lineup this evening.
- NET GAINS: Mikko Koskinen will look to continue his bid to be the number one goaltender (4-1-0 .918 SV% / 2.52 GAA 1 SO) while the Flames will field David Rittich (5-1-0, .935 SV% / 1.91 GAA / 1 SO)
- Look for the 97-29 connection to continue on the top line. Six points between the two players on Tuesday night will only ensure that you’ll see more of them tonight.
- SICK BAY: Andrej Sekera (ankle) will be out for the Oilers, as will Tobias Rieder (upper body injury). For Calgary, Dillon Dube (concussion) is day-to-day.