Around the ‘sphere, and over here.
The regular season is upon us. Rejoice. Though the Oilers have two more days until the games count for real, there was some action last night around the league.
- The Oilers make the playoffs this year, plus 9 other predictions from Cam over at Oilers Nation.
- Ryan Strome scores the GWG in a 4-3 OT victory over the Cologne Sharks yesterday (SN)
- Alex takes a preseason look at the Bakersfield Condors over at The Oilers Rig
- PENTHOUSE AND PAVEMENT: Tom Wilson picks up a cool 20 game suspension f-or blasting the shingles off of St. Louis’ Oskar Sundqvist. He’ll forfeit over a million dollars of his new deal, and he’ll be eligible to suit up sometime around American Thanksgiving. (NHL)
- You know the expression “half a surprise is better than no surprise at all?” The Flames go 0/7 on the power play and drop their season opener to the Vancouver Canucks by a 5-2 margin. This is especially pungent for the Flames because Vancouver has already eclipsed their proposed goal total for the entire 2018-19 season in one game. (Matchsticks and Gasoline)
- John Tavares scores his first goal as a Maple Leaf. Auston Matthews scores in OT. Yeah, the Leafs won too. (Pension Plan Puppets)
- It was Stanley Cup Banner Night for the Washington Capitals. They scored seven goals and demolished the Bruins in their opener. (Japers’ Rink)
- The Ducks handled the Sharks by a 5-2 score. Sorry, Sharks. (Anaheim Calling)
Plenty more hockey tonight. Oilers on Saturday!