Edmonton Oilers (3-3-0) (5th, Pacific)
Pittsburgh Penguins (3-1-2) (4th, Metro)
7 PM MST
TV: Sportsnet One
Radio: 630 CHED
BACK TO EARTH
With a three game winning streak on the line, Edmonton failed to score a goal in Saturday’s 3-0 loss to the Predators. Nashville got goals from P.K. Subban, Roman Josi and Viktor Arvidsson in what would be their fifth win in a row. Juuse Saros made 31 saves, and the Oilers fall back to .500 again.
Pittsburgh is in town to face the Oilers tonight. Can the Oilers forget all about Saturday and put some pucks in the net tonight?
Let’s go to the tape.
The Oilers are saying
“If you want to play in this League, you have to get better each day and that’s something I want to do.”
That’s Oilers forward Cooper Marody on getting called up to the big club. Marody is likely to play in his first career NHL game tonight alongside Milan Lucic and Ryan Strome.
Acquired from Philadelphia last season, Cooper Marody was called up after Ty Rattie was placed on injured reserve with a muscle injury. Marody has six points in five games with Bakersfield (2-4-6) so far this year.
The Penguins are saying
“I think we [had] a really good game against Toronto and [we can] build off that, [including] myself...”
That’s Penguins forward Patrick Hornqvist after Pittsburgh’s 3-0 victory over Toronto on Thursday.
Pittsburgh has gotten at least one point in five of their six games so far.
RYAN NUGENT-HOPKINS - CONNOR MCDAVID - KAILER YAMAMOTO
TOBIAS RIEDER - LEON DRAISAITL - JESSE PULJUJARVI
MILAN LUCIC - RYAN STROME - COOPER MARODY
ALEX CHIASSON - KYLE BRODZIAK - ZACK KASSIAN
OSCAR KLEFBOM - ADAM LARSSON
DARNELL NURSE - KRIS RUSSELL
KEVIN GRAVEL - EVAN BOUCHARD
- POWER PLAY: Oilers are 5/18 on the man advantage so far this season. That’s good. A 27.8% success rate has them tied with St. Louis at 6th overall. Not bad.
- HEAVY LIFTING: Six games into the season, Connor McDavid has eleven points (4-7-11). Keep it up and you’ll have 150 points on the year. No trouble, right?
- Evgeni Malkin has twelve points (3-9-12) in six games to lead the Penguins in scoring this young season.
- ON D: Kevin Gravel will make his Oilers debut tonight alongside Evan Bouchard.
- NET GAINS: Look for Cam Talbot to get his seventh consecutive start tonight (3-3-0, .906 SV% / 2.69 GAA). Expect Matt Murray (2-1-0, .893 SV% / 3.65 GAA) to get the nod for PIttsburgh.
- SICK BAY: Andrej Sekera (ankle), Ty Rattie (middle body), Drake Caggiula (undisclosed) and Matt Benning (undisclosed) are out for Edmonton. For Pittsburgh, Justin Schultz (leg) will be out for tonight. Jujhar Khaira is a healthy scratch as is Jason Garrison.