Edmonton Oilers (2-2-0) (7th, Pacific)
Boston Bruins (4-2-0) (3rd, Atlantic)
7 PM MST
TV: Sportsnet One
Radio: 630 CHED
The Oilers played one hell of a third period in Winnipeg on Tuesday night. Down 4-1, they battled back to a 4-4 tie to head to overtime. It was Darnell Nurse who would score the OT winner, which would be the first goal of Edmonton’s season that didn’t somehow involve Connor McDavid. Nurse’s goal would give Edmonton a 5-4 victory and put them at .500 on the season. Not bad at all.
The Oilers are in Edmonton for their first home game of the regular season. They’ll face a Bruins club that put the pegs to the Oilers by a 4-1 margin last week. Can the Oilers see some better results this evening?
Let’s go to the tape.
The Oilers are saying
I know there’s still more to it, so I’m just continuing to work on it and continuing to grow. In this game, not everything clicks all at once, so it’s just taking steps and getting better every day
That’s Oilers defenceman Darnell Nurse after his game winner in Winnipeg.
Nurse has three points (1-2-3) in four games this season, good for fourth on the team.
The Bruins are saying
“We were able to keep some possession with the puck, we generated offense. It was just too much of them coming at us and us having to defend a lot of speed in numbers”
That’s Bruins coach Bruce Cassidy after his club’s 5-2 loss to the Calgary Flames last night.
The Oilers need to take advantage of a tired club playing their second game in two days.
HAVE SOME OF THIS
#Oilers lines today...— Jason Gregor (@JasonGregor) October 17, 2018
Caggiula is not skating.
- I can (mostly) get behind this. Drake Caggiula was a little ‘banged up’ yesterday, so he didn’t skate, and I’m fine with Rieder getting a game next to Draisaitl and...who is that? Jesse Puljujarvi is in the top six? Does Todd know about this? Lookin’ good, Todd. And Milan Lucic on the third line? Solid.
- The top line for the Bruins was cooking last week. Though the club managed just two goals against Calgary last night, look for the trio of David Pastrnak, Brad Marchand and Patrice Bergeron to be together once again tonight. Through just six games, the trio has combined for 34 points, which is exceptional.
- FOUR SEASONS: Ryan Nugent-Hopkins got an assist added onto his three assist effort in Winnipeg on Tuesday night, giving him four total. Nugent-Hopkins’ assist was given to him on Edmonton’s first goal. It was a power play goal scored by Connor McDavid.
- NET GAINS: Even though Todd McLellan has suggested that Mikko Koskinen is getting work soon, I’d look for Cam Talbot to play in his fifth straight (2-2-0, .895 SV% / 3.02 GAA) tonight. With Tuukka Rask getting the nod last night, I’d look for Jaroslav Halak (2-0-0, .961SV% / 1.17 GAA / 1SO) to get the nod tonight.
- SICK BAY: Oilers will be without defenceman Andrej Sekera (ankle). The Bruins are without defenceman Torey Krug (ankle).