Edmonton Oilers (1-2-0) (7th, Pacific)
Winnipeg Jets (3-2-0) (5th, Central)
6 PM MST
Bell MTS Centre
TV: Sportsnet Oilers
Radio: 630 CHED
SB Nation Opponent: Arctic Ice Hockey
.500 TO START?
The Oilers can return home to Edmonton at .500 with a win in Winnipeg tonight.
Edmonton picked up their first win of the 2018-19 season with a matinee win against the New York Rangers on Saturday afternoon. Connor McDavid picked up the game winning goal on the power play midway through the third period. You will not be shocked to learn that McDavid also had an assist on the game’s first goal. With Edmonton’s 2-1 victory over the Rangers, Connor McDavid has a point on every Oilers goal scored so far in the 2018-19 regular season. Will the Oilers be able to spread it out tonight versus the Jets?
Let’s go to the tape.
The Oilers are saying
“Any time you’re not in the lineup you want to find a way back in...Once you get in, you want to make sure you make the most of your opportunity. I thought my first game against Boston I played with a lot of energy and passion with that feisty, walking-the-line style of play. I like to play like that and when I’m playing at my best that’s how I’m playing, so I think I carried it over well to New York and it allowed me to create more offence for myself.”
That’s Oilers forward Drake Caggiula on getting into the lineup after being a healthy scratch for the season opener.
Caggiula had three shots on goal in just over twelve minutes of ice time against the Rangers on Saturday.
The Jets are saying
I felt good in the game. It’s nice to contribute and get that first one out of the way.
That’s Jets goaltender Laurent Brossoit on getting his first win of the year. Brossoit turned aside 42 shots en route to a 3-1 win over the surging Hurricanes to open a six game home stand.
HAVE SOME OF THIS
Oilers lineup today:— Jack Michaels (@EdmontonJack) October 13, 2018
Nurse (200th GP)-Russell
- If we are to glean anything form Wednesday’s practice, the forwards look pretty similar to last game. The Oilers need to get the lines that don’t have Connor McDavid on them going, as it’s been the McDavid show so far this year up to now. I’m looking at you, second line.
- The defence looks similar to last game as well. Darnell Nurse will suit up for his 200th NHL game tonight, he’s alongside Kris Russell. Buckle up.
- ONES TO WATCH: Lots of firepower on this year’s Jets club, as was last year. Patrik Laine could push the envelope on 50 goals this season. Kyle Connor is averaging a point per game (4-1-5) in the club’s first five games this year, and he’s on the top line with Blake Wheeler (who has four points in five games) and Scheifele who has three (1-2-3).
- NET GAINS: Cam Talbot (1-2-0, .901 SV%, 2.79 GAA) turned aside all but one of the Rangers’ shots in a 2-1 victory on Saturday. He’ll get the start for Edmonton tonight. Expect Connor Hellebuyck to go for the Jets (2-2-0, .919 SV% / 2.50)
- Andrej Sekera is out indefinitely (ankle) for the Oilers. For the Jets, Dustin Byfuglien is questionable for today’s game (UBI)
- ANOTHER EARLY ONE: Game starts at 6 PM local time tonight. We’ll be getting ready at about 5.