Anaheim Ducks (19-14-8) @
Edmonton Oilers (17-20-3)
7 PM MDT
Rogers Place - Edmonton, Alberta
TV: Sportsnet Oilers
Radio: 630 CHED
The Oilers dropped a second consecutive game by a 5-0 score. This time, it was to the Kings on Tuesday. The Oilers have somewhat impressively failed to put up even one goal in two straight games. Patrick Maroon would take a match penalty after colliding with Drew Doughty, the Oilers would yield three goals on the ensuing major penalty. The Kings got goals from four different players (including two by Dustin Brown) and 32 saves from Jonathan Quick to sew this one up nice and neat for LA.
The Oilers will play their final game of their four game homestand tonight against the Ducks. Can the Oilers salvage their homestand with one win?
Let’s go to the tape.
The Oilers are saying
“The major penalty, it sucked the life out of us...Again, multiple mistakes, things we worked on. Cheating sometimes and leaving early. Not being able to clear a puck when you execute."
That’s Oilers coach Todd McLellan after LA’s 5-0 victory on Tuesday.
The Oilers have now gone two straight games without a goal. This is a team with Connor McDavid on it, and he’s on the last year of his ELC. I can’t wait to hear the excuses pour in. I should start keeping a log of them.
The Ducks are saying
"“It means a lot to me”...”Coming up to Vancouver was a big point in my life, my wife’s life. My son was born here. I enjoyed the people here. It was a fun night.”
That’s Ducks goaltender Ryan Miller after posting a 5-0 shutout against Vancouver. Five goals seems to be all the rage as of late. Miller earned his shutout over his former club on Tuesday.
Have some of this
Edmonton’s Patrick Maroon suspended two games for interference on Los Angeles’ Drew Doughty. https://t.co/2d95SMPKA4— NHL Player Safety (@NHLPlayerSafety) January 3, 2018
- MAROON: Patrick Maroon will be out tonight and Saturday for his hit on LA’s Drew Doughty. A two game suspension seems about right for this sort of chicanery.
- PK WOES: My God, it keeps getting worse. Just when you thought 60% was bad juju, it’s now in the mid 50s. Three goals on Maroon’s major penalty certainly don’t help. Patrick thinks he might know why this is happening.
- Here’s the part of the preview where I’d say that it’s important to give props to the Oiler who’s been scoring recently. You’ll notice that it’s a little vacant due to the lack of any goals being scored over the last 120 minutes.
- Cam Talbot is the likely start for the Oilers (14-13-2, .903 SV% / 3.08 GAA /1 SO). Jon Gibson (13-12-4, .922 SV% / 2.70 GAA / 1 SO) is likely for the Ducks.
- SICK BAY: The Ducks are without Ondrej Kase (flu), Mike Liambas (undisclosed), Patrick Eaves (lower body) and Corey Perry (lower body). The Oilers have no one to list on the injury report at this time. The Oilers are without Patrick Maroon due to suspension.