Things didn’t look great for the Oilers heading into game 6. All of the momentum had to be in the Ducks’ favour. Blowing a three goal lead in slightly over three minutes, and then losing in overtime had to be the dagger that would end up killing the Oilers’ season, right? And as if that wasn’t bad enough, The Oilers were missing two of their top four defencemen, in Sekera and Klefbom. Frequent scratch Eric Gryba, and Bakersfield black ace Griffin Reinhart were in for them. This had to be it, right?
“Nein!” said Leon Draisaitl, figuratively... and maybe literally too, who knows? The German forward, who likes to switch between being a world-class winger and a world-class center, decided he would channel his old German U16 league days. He did so by putting up a hat trick and two assists, in the Oilers’ 7-1 beat down of the Anaheim Ducks.
Here’s what you need to know about the win:
- Draisaitl joined Gretzky, Messier, Kurri and Anderson (who are the four highest scoring playoff players in NHL history), as the only Oilers to collect multiple four-point games in the same postseason.
- Mark Letestu also had a big night on the score sheet, scoring twice and adding two assists. He now ranks second on the Oilers in playoff scoring behind Draisaitl, with 11 points. You read that right. You are most likely drunk, but you are not hallucinating.
- Draisaitl’s five points give him 16 on the postseason. That’s the most in the western conference, and one behind Evgeni Malkin for the most overall.
- Per corsica.hockey, four Oilers skaters finished the night with an adjusted xG% above 70% at even strength. If you guessed David Desharnais, Jordan Eberle, Eric Gryba and Griffin Reinhart were those four Oilers, I owe you a pop.
- Connor McDavid was held off the score sheet. Clark Kent doesn’t need to look for a phone booth when Batman’s got things under control.
Will the Oilers be able to ride the wave of victory into Anaheim for game 7, after their first truly dominant performance of the series, or will the Ducks rebound and finally exorcise their game 7 demons? We’ll find out Wednesday. Anything can happen in game 7.