- THAT ESCALATED QUICKLY: Oilers drop a 4-1 match to the Islanders. Islanders had two goals from Anders Lee, one from Andrew Ladd and one from Joshua Ho-Sang. Ho-Sang’s goal was his first in his young career. Edmonton got a pretty nice goal from Zack Kassian early on in the second period, but that would do it for all the niceties.
- Doug Weight’s record since becoming the interim coach of the Islanders is 14-6-3, and the Islanders are still clinging to that second Wild Card spot in the Eastern Conference. The Leafs defeated the Red Wings last night by a 3-2 score to keep within one point of the Islanders.
- LOGJAM: Edmonton and Anaheim are deadlocked at 78 points, while Calgary has gone on an 8-1-1 run in their last ten games to bring some southern winds to the picnic. Things don’t get any easier for the Oilers, who will face the Cup Champs on Friday.
- ELSEWHERE: Are the Sabres wasting Jack Eichel’s entry level years? I’m not gonna say. But, trust and believe that if the Oilers were sitting somewhere with 58 points right now with a healthy Connor McDavid on the team, there’d be about fifty-nine articles calling for Chiarelli’s removal.
- Can we stop talking about Josh Ho-Sang’s sweater number now?
- The annual GM meeting took place in Florida this week. You think anything is going to get done about the offside rule? You already know the answer.
Edmonton Oilers Open Thread: It’s Getting Crowded Up Here
Pacific Division tightens up as Islanders defeat Oilers