- Before we hit the trade deadline, here's what it's looking like in the Pacific. Oilers on top of Anaheim by two points, though Anaheim has one game in hand. The Oilers aren't in action until Saturday, when they face off against Detroit. Until then, please enjoy pulling whoever plays Calgary and Anaheim.
- In case you missed the trade deadline, we've got an entire thread which I'm sure you'll archive and read over and over again. The Oilers acquired David Desharnais from the Canadiens for Brandon Davidson on the eve of the deadline, they then followed it up by swinging Taylor Beck for Justin Fontaine. Fontaine has spent all of this season with Hartford (AHL), and there's a chance the depth winger could see some time on the big club this year.
- The Oilers didn't get a backup goaltender, which is frustrating to say the least. Michal Neuvirth was extended two years in Philadelphia, but Anders Nilsson is still a pending UFA in Buffalo, Keith Kinkaid is a pending UFA in New Jersey, and other goaltenders like Jhonas Enroth, Peter Budaj are out there as well. Is it possible that none of these teams wanted a mid to late round pick for an expiring goaltender contract? Sure, though I wouldn't put the likelihood very high.
- The Flames took a gamble on 21 year old Curtis Lazar, sending Jyrki Jokipakka and a second round pick to the Senators.
- Lost in the trade deadline was the Oilers signing defenceman Ryan Mantha to a three year entry level deal. A fourth round pick of the Rangers back in 2014, the right handed overager is 6'5", 225 lbs and leads the Niagara Ice Dogs in scoring. There'll be more about Mantha soon.