Winnipeg Jets (22-11-6)
Edmonton Oilers (17-18-3)
5 PM MDT
Rogers Place - Edmonton, Alberta
Radio: 630 CHED
SB Nation Opponent: Arctic Ice Hockey
It was the Jeff Glass show on Friday night. The 32 year old netminder made 42 saves picking up his first NHL victory in his first NHL game. Patrick Kane would score the overtime winner for Chicago, the Oilers would take a single point in a game where they badly needed two.
The good news? The Oilers have three more games on their homestand, but they’ll need to start collecting as many wins as they can in short order. Can they close out 2017 with a win against the Jets?
Let’s go to the tape.
The Oilers are saying
It’s the most baffling thing...And it seems like I explain something different every night when I talk about our penalty kill.”
That’s Oilers head coach Todd McLellan on the Oilers’ home penalty kill. It still stinks. It’s hovering at 57.4 percent, and I think that’s worse than the 92-93 Ottawa Senators. The Jets are fifth in the league in goals scored per game (3.28). All the Oilers have to do is never take a penalty at home, and this will be tied up. No sweat.
The Jets are saying
"We did a good job...Unfortunately [Scheifele] is not coming back anytime soon, so we've got to rely on the guys in the room. Everyone takes responsibility in that, everyone has got to step their game up a little bit. Do a little bit more, do a little bit better. So far, so good."
That’s Jets forward Blake Wheeler after his team’s 4-2 victory over the Islanders on Friday.
The Jets will face life without Mark Scheifele for the next six to eight weeks after Scheifele suffered an injury after an awkward spill into the boards last week when the Jets faced the Oilers in Winnipeg.
Have some of this
Defenceman Eric Gryba has cleared waivers & the #Oilers have assigned him to @TheAHL's Bakersfield @Condors. pic.twitter.com/rhvsmjmLXD— Edmonton Oilers (@EdmontonOilers) December 31, 2017
- GRYBA - I’m a little surprised that Eric Gryba got waived, I didn’t think that Chiarelli had it in him. I’m less surprised that no one claimed Gryba, as I’m sure the second year of his deal scared off any potential clientele. Didn’t this club just loan Mark Fayne, and now there’s another vet down in Bakersfield?
- PULJUJARVI: One goal and one assist for Puljujarvi in Edmonton’s 4-3 OTL on Friday. That’s eleven points in 21 games for number 98.
- Cam Talbot is the safe bet to start tonight for the Oilers (14-11-2, .906 SV% / 2.93 GAA /1 SO). Connor Hellebuyck (20-4-5, .921 SV% / 2.45 GAA / 2 SO) will get the nod for the Jets.
- Did anyone ever figure this one out? Strome’s got what looks like to be a fairly pedestrian slap shot on an out of position Jeff Glass here. He passes it back to the Blackhawks defence. Anyone?
What the hell is wrong with these guys?— Pete (@lowemustgo) December 30, 2017
He didn’t even look at the net pic.twitter.com/M3GZykuO5G
- SICK BAY: The Jets will be without Mark Scheifele (upper body injury), Brandon Tanev (lower body), Dustin Byfuglien (lower body) and Toby Enstrom (lower body). The Oilers have no one to list on the injury report at this time.