Leon Draisaitl, Connor McDavid and the Edmonton Oilers took advantage of a suspect line change by Devils forward Adam Henrique during the overtime period. Draisaitl would score his sixteenth goal of the season on a handsome feed from Connor Mcdavid to give the Oilers a much needed two points. The Oilers dig into third place in the Pacific Division a little harder as they gear up to play Calgary tomorrow night.
- Cory Schneider was very good for the Devils. I gave him some flack for his .909 SV%, but like his game against the Oilers last week, he kept the Devils alive. Oilers outshot the Devils 34-19, which is great for the Oilers. Last week's matchup against the Devils featured a similar line of events.
- Cam Talbot got back into the W column by not allowing five goals to the Devils. That's good for everyone on the team, but especially good for Talbot after a disappointing start to the Sharks on Tuesday. Then again, it would be hard to allow five or more goals to the Devils because it takes roughly 45 minutes of game time for them to amass that many shots.
- Tickets are expensive. When you go to see the New Jersey Devils, some complimentary add-ons should be included at the door, because you will fall asleep no less than three times at any point during a Devils Game. A couple of beers, or some coffees, and half dozen Bobby Nick's burgers, something to keep you awake when someone other than Taylor Hall has the puck. Can you imagine having seasons to the Devils? Prudential Center's gotta have at least a dozen futons for their premium members.
- Connor McDavid scored two assists to give him 50 points on the season. This occurs just hours before his 20th birthday. McDavid keeps this sort of thing up, and he'll hit 90 points or more on the season. Who was the last Oiler to hit 90 points, Doug Weight?
- It was Taylor Hall's first game back in Edmonton after The Trade. Fans were mostly hospitable and the Oilers played a montage video for him that was at least as nice as Nail Yakupov's. Hall did not endear himself to the home crowd after elbowing Zack Kassian in the face early on during the third period, a penalty that Hall would end up serving a double-minor for. Kassian would end up taking two minutes on the play for retaliating. The Oilers ended up the lucky ones here, as they would have the two minute power play.
- Jordan Eberle can't buy a goal right now. Fifteen minutes of ice time, over two minutes on the power play, two shots on goal, and a crossbar. Tough times for that guy.
- Patrick Maroon's seventeenth goal of the season helped tie the game early in the third period for the Oilers. Maroon's season is nutty right now: he's got seventeen goals and seven assists to make 24 points. He's scoring on 17.6% of his shots right now. He's not going to be able to do that forever, but enjoy the ride for as long as it lasts.
- Draisaitl's OT goal was a thing of beauty, but Connor McDavid was definitely the architect. Draisaitl had a hand in all three goals, scoring the OT winner and assisting on the other two.