Some good came from Edmonton's loss to the Canucks on Wednesday night. Drake Caggiula had two goals, while Patrick Maroon looked about twice as fast as I remember him. The first line had some nice moments, and the defence...well, the defence had a couple of NHL guys on it during the game.
Edmonton Oilers @ Winnipeg Jets
6 PM MST
Stream live in Oiler Broadcast Territories
(AB/SK/NT) on the Oilers' website
The opposition: Arctic Ice Hockey
BENOIT POULIOT - RYAN NUGENT-HOPKINS - JESSE PULJUJARVI
MATT HENDRICKS - MARK LETESTU - ZACK KASSIAN
KRIS VERSTEEG - ANTON LANDER - IIRO PAKARINEN
TYLER PITLICK - JUJHAR KHAIRA - ANTON SLEPYSHEV
OSCAR KLEFBOM - ADAM LARSSON
JORDAN OESTERLE - MARK FAYNE
GRIFFIN REINHART - MATTHEW BENNING
- IT'S NOT THAT SERIOUS: Patrick Maroon suffered a lower body injury on Wednesday night in Vancouver, and a quick look suggested it could be a knee, an ankle, or something else that could've shelved him for 4-6 weeks. We find out today that it's "day-to-day" with a "lower body injury". That's good. Take a week off, Pat. Nail Yakupov won't play tonight either, he's also day-to-day with a lower body injury. Look for Yakupov on Sunday.
- NUGE AND JP- Jesse Puljujärvi will play alongside Ryan Nugent-Hopkins on the top line. It's good to have 93 back.
- Reinhart scored a goal in Vancouver to tie it up at 3-all, but to my eye he looked like he was a half step behind everyone else. He'll pair with Matt Benning tonight in Winnipeg. Reinhart will probably be one of the last to be sent down to Bakersfield, but it's clear he's just not ready (yet?)
- VERSTEEG: Kris Versteeg played 17+ minutes including a whopping 6:43 on the power play. He's gotta be in.
- Wednesday night was also the first night we got a chance to see Lucic-McDavid-Eberle. I'm not sure if Milan Lucic just isn't as fast as I hoped, or if McDavid just flies out there. Probably a little of both. No points were scored between the three. Relax, it's only one game. Right?
- CAGGIULA - Drake Caggiula had a pair of goals, including this nugget on the power play. A few more games like that, and I've got him pencilled in on opening night. No, I don't care that he's 5'9" and only 185 pounds. This team was 25th in goals scored last year and they traded their best player not named McDavid in the offseason. More goals.
- TRUCULENCE - Good thing Milan Lucic took care of Joe Labate after Labate elbowed Caggiula in the head. That, right there, is why you sign a guy to a 7 year/42MM deal with a NMC. Wait, no. Labate never had to answer the bell for anything and ended up scoring the go-ahead goal for the Canucks. I lost my notes, but I don't think that's how it was supposed to go.
- ON DEFENCE - Looking for good things from Klefbom / Larsson tonight, as this looks to be the pair that will need to do most of the heavy lifting in 2016-17. Getting Andrej Sekera in the lineup in a couple of days will also help.
McLellan on Reinhart: "The coaching staff was dumb enough to start him on the right side in his first game."— Reid Wilkins (@ReidWilkins) September 30, 2016