Just two goals were needed in Edmonton's victory over Anaheim on Tuesday night, and Patrick Maroon had a hand in both of them. Maroon got the Oilers on the board early in the first period while he had the primary assist on a goal scored by Mark Letestu later in the second. Cam Talbot was nearly perfect with 25 saves in 26 shots, and the Oilers would emerge victorious with their fourth win in six preseason games.
Two games remain in Edmonton's preseason, they'll face off against the Jets at home. Lines and preview to come.
Winnipeg Jets @ Edmonton Oilers
7 PM MDT
TV - TSN 3, Radio - 630 CHED
Milan Lucic - Connor McDavid - Jordan Eberle
Benoit Pouliot - Leon Draisaitl - Jesse Puljujärvi
Patrick Maroon - Drake Caggiula - Nail Yakupov
Tyler Pitlick - Mark Letestu - Zack Kassian
Oscar Klefbom - Adam Larsson
Andrej Sekera - Matthew Benning
Griffin Reinhart - Eric Gryba
- NAIL YAKUPOV FOR PEANUTS? - No secret that the team's not keen on Nail Yakupov as of late (after 2013 were they ever?) and there's some serious smoke from a distant fire being waved on Twitter today. Chicago looks to be kicking some serious tires on Yakupov, and is there really chance that Edmonton would retain salary? Bloody hell.
- THE MONSTER: Jonas Gustavsson is getting the nod tonight. Was really hoping the Oilers would've put a claim in on Reto Berra yesterday, but nobody's going to swallow their pride in early October. The Oilers only have 45 contracts (and 2 PTO) right now, so the "they can't afford a roster spot" argument isn't going to hold water today.
- BET YOU A DOLLAR: Drake Caggiula makes this team. If Nail Yakupov is still on this team by the time this game is played, Caggiula will team up with Yakupov and Maroon on the third line.
- THE BIG THREE ARE BACK: New captain Connor McDavid had a goal and an assist against the Kings on Sunday, while Jordan Eberle assisted on McDavid's goal. Really hoping for some dominant moments from this line against Winnipeg tonight.
- KLEFBOM - LARSSON - Hold steady, boys. We're going to need you for about 80 games. Larsson has looked good in the few games we've seen him. Oscar Klefbom is not injured at this juncture. Let's keep that up.
- Kris Versteeg is out day-to-day with a lower body injury. This is a guy I had in ink next Wednesday against the Flames, but this injury clouds things a little bit. I've still got him making it, even if he's not 100% in a few days.
- CAPTAIN CONNOR - Take us to the promised land. On Wednesday, Connor McDavid was named team captain of the club for the 2016-17 season. Jordan Eberle, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Milan Lucic
have not yet been traded for an underwhelming returnwill serve as alternates. At 19 years and 266 days McDavid is the youngest full-time captain in the history of the NHL.