Well, hopefully things start to line up out here.
Happy Canada Day, you guys.
The Oilers made a couple of moves at the 2015 NHL Draft this past weekend, acquiring Griffin Reinhart from the Islanders and Eric Gryba from the Senators. They'll need to do quite a bit more today in order to ice a competitive defence under new GM Peter Chiarelli .
WE'RE READY FOR FREE AGENCY
The Oilers are going to have to sign at least one, preferably two defencemen today. With all the hoopla surrounding this past weekend's moves, the Oilers can't run the ship with only the parts acquired.
THE OILERS' WISH LIST
Look for @EdmontonOilers to get another high end d-man today. As of now I would be leaning heavily towards it being Andrej Sekera.— Gene Principe (@GenePrincipe) July 1, 2015
- A top pairing defenceman
- A bottom six 6 to replace Boyd Gordon
- A catapult to jettison Nikita Nikitin into the sun
- The Nashville Predators have re-signed centre Mike Ribeiro to a two year deal valued at 3.5M per year. Ribeiro provided 62 points to the Predators in 2014-15, but this signing comes with a dark cloud as a sexual assault lawsuit continues to play out.
- The Flames have signed goaltender Karri Ramo to another year for 3.8M, which is a lot of money for Karri Ramo. The Flames now have 8.3M in goal for 2015-16.
- The Vancouver Canucks have re-signed Yannick Weber to a one year, 1.5M deal. Weber finished last season with 21 points (11-10-21) in 65 GP. A fair price for the 26 year old Weber, who had a career high in points last year.
- The Islanders have signed goaltender Thomas Greiss to a 2 year, 3M deal. He'll backup Jaroslav Halak, as goaler Michal Neuvirth will sign elsewhere. Greiss finished with a .908 SV% in 20 games with Pittsburgh last year.
- The Colorado Avalanche have signed defenceman Francois Beauchemin to a three year deal at 4.5M per year. Unsure if Beauchemin has enough gas in the tank to finish strong at 38, and that's a lot of clams on a 35+ deal.
- The Minnesota Wild have re-signed Mikael Granlund to a 2 year deal at 3M per year. The 23 year-old Finn finished last season with 39 points, and has 80 points in the last two years. Trending upward.
- The Toronto Maple Leafs have signed Matt Hunwick for two years at 1.2M per year. Hunwick, 30, spent last year with the Rangers and collected 11 points (2-9-11) in 55 games.
- The Winnipeg Jets have re-signed Matt Halischuk to a one year deal at 750K. Depth signing for the Jets, as they hold onto a 27 year old winger who scored 18 points (8-10-18) over the past two seasons.
- The San Jose Sharks have signed defenceman Paul Martin to a four year deal. Martin heads west after five years with Pittsburgh. Never forget.
- THE OILERS HAVE SIGNED ANDREJ SEKERA TO A SIX YEAR DEAL AT 33.5M. Finally. The Oilers get a player they badly need, and he'll be here for six years. He'll be on the top pair barring anything nutty. Thank you. A no-trade clause, too!
- Oilers sign Mark Letestu to a three year deal valued at 1.8M per year. Letestu has spent the past four years in Columbus, and is the replacement for the recently departed Boyd Gordon.
- The Flyers have signed goaltender Michal Neuvirth to a 2 year deal valued at 3.25M. That's a good deal for a guy who stood on his head last year for Buffalo.
- The Avalanche have signed forward Blake Comeau to a three year deal valued at 7.2M total. Comeau, 29, spent last year in Pittsburgh where he put up 31 points (16-15-31) in 61 games. Colorado is Comeau's third team since 2013.
- The Toronto Maple Leafs have traded Phil Kessel to Pittsburgh for Kasperi Kapanen, Scott Harrington, and a first round pick. Are the Leafs eating salary here? Oof.
- The Minnesota Wild have re-signed defenceman Nate Prosser to a two year deal valued at 625K per year.
- The Carolina Hurricanes have re-upped on centre Riley Nash for a year at 1.15M
- The Arizona Coyotes have inked centre Brad Richardson to a three year deal at just over 2M per year.
- Calgary has signed forward Michael Frolik to a five year deal valued at 4.3M per year. Frolik has a pair of 42 point seasons in his last 2 with the Wininpeg Jets.
- Jonas Enroth is headed to LA to back up Jonathan Quick for a year at 1.25M
- Defenceman Barret Jackman had been a St. Louis Blue since 1999, but is headed to Pittsburgh on a two year deal valued at 2M per.
- Cody Hodgson is a Nashville Predator for one year, one million dollars.
- Arizona has re-signed defenceman Zbynek Michalek for two years totaling 6.4M.
- The Dallas Stars have re-upped with forward Patrick Eaves for a year at 1.15M
- The Canadiens have shipped Zack Kassian and a fifth round pick for Brandon Prust
- Vancouver has signed former Oilers/Barons goalie Richard Bachman to a two year deal.
- The Winnipeg Jets have found a two year deal with Alex Burmistrov.
- Zack Stortini? Sure, why not. For two years? Have at it, Ottawa.
- Vancouver has signed Taylor Fedun to a one year deal.
- Toronto has signed P.A. Parenteau to a one year deal.
- Viktor Stalberg signed a 1 year deal at 1.1M with NYR
- Mike Green has signed with the Detroit Red Wings at 6M a year for three.
- Mark Arcobello has signed a one year deal with the Toronto Maple Leafs.
- Matt Beleskey has signed a five year deal with the Boston Bruins for five years at 19M. Was really hoping for a higher cap hit, but 3.8 isn't a total wipeout considering Boston's flops over the past week.
- Shawn Horcoff has signed a one year deal with the Ducks valued at 1.75M.