How does one start a post about such an abysmal game? Really the only way to do it is to point out that two bottom 5 teams were going up against each other and the battle would be epic. The only problem with that hypothesis is that the Maple Leafs underestimated just how bad the Oilers are.
- 7:51 - Derek Roy gets the loose puck and goes in alone but can’t beat James Reimer
- 2:03 - Nazim Kadri makes a move on Jeff Petry and rings the puck off the post
- 1:44 FIGHT - Rob Klinkhammer and David Booth fight
- 1:44 4v5 - Klinkhammer for roughing - Drawn by Booth
- 0:06 3v5 - Jeff Petry for cross checking - Drawn by Panik
The first period was boring. Don Cherry probably put it the best.
"If you’re still watching this game, you’re the biggest hockey fan in the world. These guys are stealing the fans’ money tonight."
- 19:30 - This was Andrew Ference in a nutshell. With the Oilers still on the PK, Ference goes down to block a shot. He is successful at blocking the shot and gains control of the puck. He has "hours" to get rid of the puck and make a good play but instead releases it immediately like its a hand grenade. It ends up directly on the stick of the Leafs defender.
- 16:30 - James Van Riemsdyk gets a great chance infront of the net
- 11:04 GOAL - Richard Panik from the point just trickles through to beat Viktor Fasth
- 9:26 GOAL - Phil Kessel shoots from almost the same place and beats Fasth almost the same way.
- 7:10 - Jordan Eberle with a break away and hits the post
- 6:34 GOAL - Morgan Reilly breaks in and makes a few moves. He then roofs it glove side on Fasth
- 6:06 - Ryan Nugent-Hopkins gets the puck over to Schultz and he hits the post
- 3:55 5v4 - Kessel for slashing - Drawn by Nail Yakupov
Well that was something to behold. A complete break down that usually occurs in the third period but that’s ok because the Oilers have the third period melt down on tap.
- 19:21 GOAL - This whole sequence actually begins at the other when Jordan Eberle and Teddy Purcell break in 2 on 1 and Eberle gets stopped by Reimer. Nugent-Hopkins gets a shot away and second later Oscar Klefbom gives the puck away to Kadri. Kardi gets the puck up to Mike Santorelli who take a really nice wrist shot that hits the cross bar and drops down.
- 12:16 - Santorelli gets a pass at centre ice and is in all alone. Fasth makes the stop.
- 10:02 GOAL - Stephane Robidas intercepts a pass and finds Peter Holland at centre ice. Holland is in clean as Petry was caught deep in the Leafs zone and Holland puts it in high on Fasth
- 9:19 - This time Kessel gets a chance on the break away but Fasth stops him
- 5:53 - Yakupov gets a pass right infront of the net but can’t beat Reimer
- 2:46 5v4 - Leo Komarov for slashing - Drawn by Yakupov
- 0:03 GOAL - Luke Gazdic swings at the puck after Reimer gives up a rebound and scores.
Seriously this was one of those games that you just look back at and say "What the f**k was that?" This was a horrible outing by the Oilers and it was against a team that had played the night before and had to travel. It was brutal.
My favourite part of the night came from the captain Andrew Ference because I really feel that the irony was lost on Ference. He was probably the worst defenseman on the team tonight by a long shot.
"A lot of standing around, especially in the D zone. It was unbelievable how much gliding there was." – Captain @Ferknuckle post-game— Edmonton Oilers (@EdmontonOilers) February 8, 2015
Who cares? Really? Does anyone actually still watch this team play hockey? Well if you are one of the few that does still watch the Oilers you can catch them again on Monday in New Jersey as they take on the Devils. Remember it’s a 7PM east coast start so it’s going to be 2 hours earlier that usual.