The road trip ended in Winnipeg as the Oilers took on the Jets. The Jets came into the game hoping to hold onto their wild card spot while the Oilers’ could only play spoiler being the second worst team in the league, again.
- 19:52 - Almost immediately Ryan Nugent-Hopkins gets a nice chance infront but Michael Hutchinson comes up with a nice stop
- 13:33 4v5 - Keith Aulie for tripping - Drawn by Jacob Trouba
- 12:14 GOAL - This play starts about a minute earlier when Benoit Pouliot’s stick breaks on a blocked shot. The Oilers are unable to clear the zone and the Jets just keep cycling the puck. Blake Wheeler finds Toby Enstrom who is able to get open. Viktor Fasth makes the initial stop on Enstrom but the puck drops down in the crease. Bryan Little is there to pick up the garbage.
- 9:15 4v5 - Aulie for interference - Drawn by TJ Galiardi
- 7:15 5v5 - Penalty Expires
- 6:11 GOAL - Derek Roy juggles a pass from Andrew Ference but is able to gain the zone. Roy makes a nice pass over to Nail Yakupov who makes a nice move in close and goes five hole on Hutchinson.
- 5:39 5v4 - Andrew Ladd for hooking - Drawn by Oscar Klefbom
- 4:41 GOAL - With Anton Lander standing infront of the net, Jordan Eberle makes a nice pass to Lander. Lander gets the pass off of his skate and gets it to his stick, turns and scores.
- 3:51 FIGHT - Luke Gazdic and Anthony Peluso
- 3:28 4v5 - Eberle for high sticking - Drawn by Dustin Byfuglien
- 3:17 4v4 - Enstrom for tripping - Drawn by Pouliot
- 1:28 5v4 - Penalty expires
- 1:17 5v5 - Penalty expires
- 1:51 - Justin Schultz gets a step and takes a quick shot but hits the goalpost
- 0:35 - Byfuglien gets a chance at the point with Fasth down and out but puts it over the net
- 19:04 - Wheeler gets past Klefbom and waits for Schultz to over commit and drop to block the pass. With no one covering him, Michael Frolik gets open in the slot and Wheeler makes a great pass to him but Fasth comes up with his best stop of the night. Fasth then gets rolled over and down for a while but continues to play.
- 13:45 - Bryan Little gets a pass in the high slot and puts it off the post
- 11:44 GOAL - Little gets the puck again, this time at the left faceoff dot, and puts it high on Fasth.
- 7:15 - Byfuglien nails Gazdic. Initially it looked like a hit to the head but the replay showed it was a clean hit. Gazdic’s injury occurs as his head crashed into the boards
- 4:58 - Aulie makes a really bad choice and goes after the puck. This leads to a 3 on 1 against Klefbom. Klefbom then decides to take the puck carrier. Luckily no one was able to control the puck but it could’ve ended a lot worse
- 18:52 GOAL - Petry is such a dream, he makes a pass from his own blue line to find Nugent-Hopkins while the Jets are making a change. Nugent-Hopkins in alone goes glove side on Hutchinson and puts it past him
- 16:30 GOAL - Off of the faceoff the puck goes back to Tyler Myers. Myers’ blasts it from the point and past Fasth
- 14:43 - Roy is unable to handle the puck just outside the Oilers’ blue line. Petry takes a swing at the puck but realizes too late that he is the only defender back. The puck goes to Galiardi but he can’t make the backhand shot
- 5:57 5v4 - Frolik for tripping - Drawn by Fasth
- 4:46 GOAL - The first power play unit was unable to gain and control the zone. So out came the second power play unit. Pouliot gets the puck along the left boards and makes a hard pass over to Yakupov who releases it immediately and puts it past Hutchinson.
- 4:04 GOAL - Wheeler carries the puck into the Oilers’ zone and makes a quick pass over to Ladd. The puck hits Ladd in the pants and as it drops he just fires it past Fasth.
- 2:35 5v4 - Ladd for tripping - Drawn by Klefbom
- 0:35 5v5 - Penalty expires
- 3:02 - Byfugien wide open in the slot and gets a good shot away but Fasth makes the stop
- 1 - Wheeler GOAL (Fasth Hurts himself on the play Richard Bachman in)
- 1 - Yakupov MISS
- 2 - Little POST
- 2 - Roy SAVE
- 3 - Ladd SAVE
- 3 - Eberle SAVE
First off lets get this out of the way. The Oilers allowed 46 shots against and allowed 53 corsi events against. This was a game that should’ve played out like the previous game. Luckily Fasth played a pretty decent game. Sure he allowed a couple weak goals but after facing 46 shots what can one expect.
Winnipeg doesn’t have great goaltending, although Hutchinson is big upgrade from Ondrej Pavelec. If it wasn’t for overtime the Oilers would’ve only had 19 shots on net. You can’t win games while being doubled in shots. The Oilers were lucky to come out of this game with a point.
The Oilers are back in Edmonton to take on the Boston Bruins on Wednesday night. The Bruins just lost in overtime to Calgary tonight after being up 3-0 so they will be pretty hungry for a win. The game starts at 8PM Edmonton time.