|7-14-2, 16 points, .695 p/g
|13-8-1, 27 points, 1.35 p/g
|Western Conference - 14th
|Eastern Conference - 6th
Iiro Scores Two, Oilers Leave Detroit With Point
With Connor McDavid and Nail Yakupov both injured, the Oilers are certainly going to need some secondary scoring in order to put some wins on the board. Iiro Pakarinen scored not one, but two goals last night for the Oilers (including the game tying goal midway through the third period) yet the Oilers were unable to escape Detroit with a win. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins had a glorious chance to bury it early in overtime, but Detroit defenceman Niklas Kronwall scored less than fifteen seconds later overtime to give Detroit a 4-3 win.
The Oilers will look for their first win on this roadtrip today in Pittsburgh. Let's go to the tape.
The Oilers are saying
"We've got to get points."
That's Oilers centre Mark Letestu on how the Oilers need to start putting in some two point games.
Is it too early to start talking about playoffs? You remember, playoffs, right?
Oilers are 7-14-2, which...looks familiar. Assume a 95 point cutoff (which is probably a little light). The Oilers have sixteen points right now, which means they need about 79 or so points over their last 58 games, which means they'll need about 35-37 wins in their last 59 games to go along with a small shoe box of Bettman points.
They got this in the bag, yeah?
The opponents are saying
"Pumpkin pie. I like cranberries with turkey, but I have to go pumpkin pie."
- Barring anything wacky, Justin Schultz is scheduled to be back in the lineup tonight for Edmonton. Schultz has been out for the past fourteen games with a back injury.
- Last night's game was Andrew Ference's first since Halloween. Ference finished with seven shifts, 4:24 of ice time, and was on the ice for two of Detroit's three goals in regulation. Andrew Ference is a great guy, but I can't see the team not buying him out on the last year of his deal.
- Jujhar Khaira will make his NHL debut tonight wearing the number 54. He'll be on the left wing of Anton Lander and Iiro Pakarinen.
- Anders Nilsson (4-6-1, .906 SV% / 2.85 GAA) will get the nod tonight for the Oilers Jeff Zatkoff (2-1-0, .934 SV% / 2.63 GAA) will get his fourth start of the season tonight for the Penguins. Zatkoff picked up a win for Pittsburgh in their 2-1 victory in Edmonton just over three weeks ago. .
- Connor McDavid (clavicle), Nail Yakupov (ankle) and Rob Klinkhammer (lower body) are out. The Penguins will be without Olli Maatta (upper body) and Bryan Rust (wrist)