|0-1-0, 0 points, 0 p/g||Ranks||1-0-0, 2 points, 2 p/g|
|Western Conference - 11th||Western Conference - 7th|
That Old Familiar Feeling
The Oilers scored a power play goal on a weird bounce that ended up being credited to Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, but it was all they would be able to muster over a powerful St. Louis Blues club en route to a 3-1 defeat. Blues goals were had by Vladimir Tarsenko and Rob Fabbri, while Troy Brower potted an empty netter very late in the third to secure St. Louis' first victory of the year. The Oilers are in Nashville today to try and earn their first W of the 2015-16 season. Let's see who is saying what
The Oilers are saying
"I will tinker a fair amount until we find the right combinations."
That's Oilers coach Todd McLellan on shuffling up the line combinations during yesterday's practice.
The Hall-McDavid line looked a little skittish during Thursday's season debut, and Coach isn't wasting any time switching up the routine. Yesterday's practice saw Hall skating with RNH and Teddy Purcell, while Connor McDavid saw time with Benoit Pouliot and...Lauri Korpikoski. Nail Yakupov was seen on the third line with Anton Lander and Anton Slepyshev.
The opponents are saying
"You watch a pre-scout of Edmonton and you can see what he's capable of...We get a firsthand look at them (tonight), so it's a good challenge for our club. He's a good player. He's young, but he's a good player and you have to pay attention to what he's doing." Source
- Cam Talbot looked pretty good in his Oilers debut, allowing just two goals on 30 St.Louis shots. One goal was a breakaway on Vladimir Tarasenko, while the other was a one timer to Blues rookie Rob Fabbri. Talbot (and the Oilers) will search for the first win of the season tonight at Bridgstone Arena. Look for Pekka Rinne between the pipes for Nashville tonight. Rinne was victorious along with the rest of the Predators on Thursday night as they took care of Carolina by a 2-1 marker.
- IT'S GOLD HELMET NIGHT IN NASHVILLE.
- TRADE WINDS BLOWING? Could the Buffalo Sabres have any interest in Ben Scrivens? Scrivens was sent down to Bakersfield last week after Anders Nilsson won the backup gig in Edmomton. With Sabres starter Robin Lehner out for what looks to be quite some time (and with Chad Johnson not being a viable option at this time), would Scrivens fetch some interest?
- Ryan Nugent-Hopkins was credited with a freaky power play goal late in the first period. The goal is RNH's 66th career goal and 189th career point. He looks pretty happy about all of that.
- Matt Hendricks had five shots on goal on Thursday night. Not my first guess as to who would lead the team in shots, but hey, wind 'em up and let 'em go.
- If you haven't yet, do yourself a favour and check out Sunil's post on Edmonton's first ten games. I think we can admit that the playoffs are a nice thought, but the chips would certainly have to fall Edmonton's way before anybody can suggest them in earnest. Sunil takes a look at some numbers that the Oilers would do well to hit, and hitting them would be a good building block en route to a possible second season.