A chance to win more than 1 game and the Oilers came out flat. It set the pace for the entire game even when they were tied they looked like they were chasing the game. The Panthers took advantage of the Oilers’ mistakes quite well and made them pay.
- 15:59 GOAL - Andrew Ference stops a pass but the puck just sits in the slot. Jordan Eberle over skates his check (Hayes) and Hayes grabs the puck and puts it high on Ben Scrivens.
- 14:38 _ Nail Yakupov in close gets a good chance but Roberto Luongo stops him.
- 5:43 - Jonathan Huberdeau rings a shot off the post
- 5:19 - Huberdeau again as Justin Schultz allows him to get open. This time Scrivens makes the save.
The Oilers seemed out of sync for pretty much the whole first period. There were some great passes but would miss the intended target over and over again.
- 17:17 - Florida had a 2 on 1 but Nail Yakupov flies back to break up the pass.
- 15:53 GOAL - Eberle scores on a scrum infront of the net. Luongo can’t hold onto the puck on the initial shot. Taylor Hall pokes at the puck and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins gets the puck over to Eberle to put it away.
- 13:04 GOAL - Campbell takes a shot from the blue line and it fools Ben Scrivens up high.
- 1:11 5v4 - Kulikov for tripping - Drawn by Hall
The Oiler played well for the first 5 minutes of the second period but after tying the game the Oilers seemed to sit back. The Panthers drove hard and got a lucky break on the Campbell goal.
- 19:11 5v5 - Penalty expires
- 17:54 4v5 - Mark Fayne for interference - Drawn by Huberdeau
- 15:54 5v5 - Penalty expires
- 14:52 GOAL - Once again Fayne doesn’t take his man behind the net and Benoit Pouliot doesn’t take the man in the slot. A quick pass from Derek MacKenzie to Tomas Kopecky end up behind Scrivens.
- 14:20 GOAL - With a penalty coming up to Scotty Upshall, the Oilers gain the zone. Derek Roy gets a shot off on Luongo and the rebound goes directly to Pouliot. Pouliot has the empty net and puts it away.
- 12:56 - After a great chance by the Oilers the Panthers break out 2 on 1 and Brad Boyes hits the post.
- 11:39 4v5 - Andre Ference for tripping - Drawn by MacKenzie
- 10:23 FIGHT - Matt Hendricks and Erik Gudbranson
- 4:33 GOAL - Yakupov tries to break through two players but the play gets knocked down by Tomas Fleischmann. The Panthers head up the ice and Ference tries to break up the play but it bounces off of his stick and right onto Sean Bergenheim’s stick and he puts it into the net.
- 0:28 4v5 - Gudbranson for boarding - Drawn by Pouliot
Pretty much the same story for the rest of the game. The Oilers made bad plays and they were out played.
The Oiler just can’t win more than one game at a time. This game was pretty much all Florida even though the Oilers pushed back when they were down.
By eye none of the goals against were directly the goalies fault (maybe the Campbell goal). The Oilers just lacked on defense once again.
What a surprise Justin Schultz lead the Oilers in TOI with 23:48. It seems like the coaching staff just doesn’t seem to get that Schultz is not a top pairing defenseman. In second place came Oscar Klefbom at 23:27, who didn’t seem like much of a factor in the game.
The Oilers take on the Blues in St. Louis and start a four game road trip. Thanks to Curtis I have a break for the next two games so see you again the next time the Oilers take on Florida.