Getting The Taste Out
Fortunately, preseason games don't count for much other than nightmare fuel. Last night's crowd in Saskatchewan was treated to a five goal performance by the Blackhawks (including this beauty by Teuvo Teravainen). The Oilers failed to score any, although they had a fairly good first half of the first period. That's got to be worth something, right? Right? Hey, where are you going?
The Oilers are saying
"Ference update: courageous blocked shots, we need lots of that, more of that, took him out precautionary, x-rays are negative, he'll be fine.
That's Oilers coach Dallas Eakins on the status of Andrew Ference. Ference was held out of periods two and three after blocking a shot in the arm. (Eakins called it "a heater" today) Ference isn't expected to play tonight. But don't worry guys, Keith Aulie is.
The Opponent is saying
"(It'll) Be really young. We're gonna give those guys an opportunity. Not necessarily all by age, but by terms of NHL experience, it'll be a little light by that, but we'll have enough workers in the lineup"
- Jets coach Paul Maurice says his lineup is going to be filled with many players who are wet behind the ears, and they're gonna be workers. I read this as "bodies with little to no NHL experience" I know it's only preseason, but I sighed with relief when I saw Taylor Hall and RNH on the top line. Scoring goals is fun, and I hope the Oilers do some of that tonight. Tyler Pitlick must feel like he won a small lottery, as he's going to get a shot with 4 and 93. Make some nooooooise.
- CUTS, ACT II - The Oilers have made some cuts. Let Batty tell you about them. All of them, in glorious technicolor.
- BOGDAN YAKIMOV BETWEEN TKACHEV AND WESTGARTH: if this line produces more than a point tonight, get ready to hear about how Kevin Westgarth is "functional toughness" or some other nonsense. Odds on Westgarth getting into a punchfest tonight are exceedingly high. A stiff gust of wind may take down Vladimir Tkachev, which will no doubt raise Westgarth's punch filled Spidey-sense to a fever pitch.
- HAPPY BIRTHDAY, BENOIT POULIOT! You get to drink from the fire hose! No, wait. You're on a line with Will Acton and Andrew Miller. Seriously, happy birthday. We bought you some pistachio ice cream. You're allergic to pistachios? You can pick around the pistachios. Make the best of it.
- Coach Eakins had some nice things to say about Jeff Petry in this morning's presser. (skip to 12:10), calling him one of the team's "top defencemen". It's never too soon to sign that 7 year extension, Peaches.
- Check out SB Nation's 2014-15 NHL Season Preview, featuring eleven of SB Nation's best and brightest hockey minds. You'll be happy to know that not all of them picked the Oilers to finish last in the Pacific.
The Winnipeg Jets
Adam Lowry - Mathieu Perreault - Michael Frolik
Eric Tangradi - Nicolas Petan - Nikolaj Ehlers
Matt Halischuk - Patrice Cormier - Anthony Peluso
Carl Klingberg - John Albert - J.C. Lipon
Mark Stuart - Jacob Trouba
Adam Pardy - Keaton Ellerby
Josh Morrissey - Grant Clitsome
The Edmonton Oilers
Taylor Hall - Ryan Nugent-Hopkins - Tyler Pitlick
Vladimir Tkachev - Bogdan Yakimov - Kevin Westgarth
Beniot Pouliot - Will Acton - Andrew Miller
Mitch Moroz - Travis Ewanyk - Steven Pinizzotto
Nikita Nikitin - Mark Fayne
Darnell Nurse - Brad Hunt
Keith Aulie - David Musil