|19-42-8, .666 p/g||Ranks||25-36-9, .842 p/g|
|Eastern Conference: 16th||Western Conference: 14th|
Hockey Is More Fun When You Win
A pair of goals for Jordan Eberle, and a goal for each of Taylor Hall, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Sam Gagner helped propel the Oilers to a resounding 5-1 victory over the Nashville Predators on Tuesday. With Tuesday's victory, the Oilers have defeated Nashville three times in three tries this year. Edmonton outscored the Predators by 13-2 over those three games. In other words, I'd like to start the season over and play the Nashville Predators about 50 more times.
The Oilers are saying
"You're never sure how many chances you're going to get and you have to make the most of the chance when it comes. I hope (Tyler Pitlick's) ready for his chance.
That's Oilers coach Dallas Eakins on Tyler Pitlick's call up. Enough hard work Tyler, and you could be the next Ryan Jones, Jiri Dopita or Steve MacIntyre. Reach for the stars, kid.
THINGS ARE TOUGH ALL OVER
Tyler PItlick gets a call up because Nail Yakupov (ankle), Jordan Eberle (knee) and Matt Hendricks (leg) could all miss Thursday's game, although Hendricks is listed as "questionable". Pitlick has 22 points (8-14-22) in 38 games with OKC this year, he's also got a goal in three games with the Oilers.
Fortunately for the Oilers, they've got plenty of depth on the wings because they kept Ales Hemsky instead of trading him for a third and fifth round picks.
The Opponent is saying
"It's all about the evaluation period going forward here. Hackett has come in with good credentials from the beginning so we'll put him in and see what he has"
You know who used to (poorly) evaluate things around here? I wouldn't wish that upon you, Buffalo, but it's the first thing I thought of when Nolan said "evaluate".
- The Oilers have recalled Steve MacIntyre. This briefly set the Twitterverse ablaze, because you know that something
epicpredictable is going to happen when both MacIntyre's and John Scott's eyes lock for that half a second and decide to start throwing punches for six seconds
- I have several feelings about the MacIntyre call-up. If the Oilers had more than ten games remaining in an eighth consecutive year without the playoffs, I'd probably be livid. They don't, and I just kind of smirked when I heard it. The other thing is this:
- Argue all you like about how the Oilers can't call up Mark Arcobello because the Barons are in a playoff chase, MacIntyre getting the call-up over Arcobello is pretty much the stamp on the envelope. It was fun while it lasted, Mark. Best of luck wherever you land next year.
- Somewhat related: both Pitlick and MacIntyre are emergency call-ups. Looking at you, MacT. *wink*
- Whoever plays on that 4C is going to wish they were in the press box. Or at home. Or anywhere else.Will the fourth line have more than five minutes between the three of them?
- YOU THINK YOU KNOW BAD A BAD CONTRACT? Meet Ville Leino. Ville Leino signed a six year 27 million dollar contact (plus a nine million dollar signing bonus) with the Sabres in the beginning of July, 2011. This is after he scored 51 points with Philadelphia in 2010-11. Since then, Ville Leino has scored thirty three points total, and he's scored zero goals in 2013-14. This makes me feel a little bit better about Matt Hendricks' deal, A little. A slight difference between Leino and Hendricks is that the Oilers likely won't use Hendricks' deal to reach the salary floor like the Sabres would use Leino's in 2014-15.
The Smac recall makes some sense on Oilers part given OKC playoff push, but they're now robbing Arcobello of NHL $. Don't expect him back.— RCN (@RossCreekNation) March 19, 2014
Cory Conacher - Tyler Ennis - Drew Stafford
Cody Hodgson - Brian Flynn - Marcus Foligno
Torrey Mitchell - Ville Leino - Matt D'Agostini
Nicolas Deslauriers - Matt Ellis - John Scott
Rasmus Ristolainen - Christian Ehrhoff
Chad Ruhwedel - Henrik Tallinder
Jamie McBain - Mike Weber
The Edmonton Oilers
Taylor Hall - Sam Gagner - David Perron
Ryan Smyth - Ryan Nugent-Hopkins - Anton Lander
Matt Hendricks - Boyd Gordon - Ryan Jones
Luke Gazdic - Tyler Pitlick - Steve MacIntyre
Andrew Ference - Justin Schultz
Martin Marincin - Jeff Petry
Oscar Klefbom - Mark Fraser