So let's start off with some Twitter reactions to tonight's game
I've seen that look before #Oilers pic.twitter.com/pLyEdpbNaS— Greg Rowat (@GMoneyDC1) December 17, 2014
All the Oilers thinking game is over. Smh #oilers— Michael Cook (@crjcook) December 17, 2014
Ding-Dong... the #Coyotes 9-game home losing skid is over. OEL strikes with game-winning OT goal w/ 0.3 secs left. Doggies d #Oilers 2-1.— Paul Calvisi (@PaulCalvisi) December 17, 2014
#Oilers might not win 20 games this season. Scary thought, but real possibility.— Barry Strader (@BarryStrader) December 17, 2014
I'm convinced being an #Oilers goalie is a fate worse than death.— R.J. (@HuntressInSoCal) December 17, 2014
Craig MacTavish knows how to clean up a mess. #Oilers #Edmonton #NHL http://t.co/rnHwm0BuJk— Adam (@sharpndpensel) December 17, 2014
What can I say? For some reason the Oilers thought this game was going to a shootout and just gave up on the play.
- 7:38 PK - Jeff Petry takes a holding penalty on Brandon McMillan
- 5:32 - Straight out of the penalty box Taylor Hall gets the puck over to Petry but it was a bit high for him to handle and only got a weak shot away
- 5:04 GOAL - Ryan Nugent-Hopkins gets a feed from Brad Hunt. With Teddy Purcell all over his man Nugent-Hopkins uses it as a screen and puts it past Devan Dubnyk
- 3:58 PP - Zbynek Michalek gets called for tripping on Jordan Eberle
- 18:24 PK - Petry takes a hooking penalty
- 17:98 - Oliver Ekman-Larsson takes a shot from the point that Ben Scrivens’ saves but he loses the rebound. The puck ends up in the crease with a wide open net but Mark Arcobello is there to swat the puck away.
- 10:05 - The Coyotes hold the zone and the puck is shot on net but hits Sam Gagner on the way to the net. Gagner makes a flapping motion at the puck and it goes straight to Martin Erat who snaps the shot but Scrivens makes a great stop. Either way it wouldn’t have counted as the puck was gloved by Gagner.
- 9:36 GOAL - McMillan scores after Luke Gazdic goes after the already covered puck carrier, Joe Vitale.
- 8:00 PK - Hall takes Kyle Chipchura into the board and gets called for boarding
Scrivens played great! He made saves in the second period that made me shake my head. The shots in the second period were 27 - 5 for the Coyotes. TWENTY-SEVEN in one period.
- 13:49 PK - Steve Pinizzotto takes a holding penalty after he caused an icing that kept him on the ice
- 9:53 PP - Antoine Vermette takes a holding penalty on Tyler Pitlick
The Oilers looked better in the third but Dubnyk played well and kept his team alive much like how Scrivens did it for the Oilers in the second
- 4:22 - Justin Schultz gets a beautiful chance and makes a great move but Dubnyk stands tall and makes the pad stop
- 0:00.3 GOAL - A series of Oilers events leads to this goal. Eberle trips over the Coyotes’ blue line. This leads to Erat getting the puck up to Gagner who makes a pass over to Ekman-Larson who just drills it past Scrivens.
The more things change the more they stay the same. The Oilers we completely outplayed in the second period and deserved a worse fate than a 2-1 loss in overtime. If any Oilers fan was under the delusion that things would change overnight I've got news for you. They wont!
Scrivens played well, the third line played ok but the rest of the team especially in the second period was a dogs breakfast. Once again Justin Schultz played Norris Trophy minutes and Luke Gazdic and Steve Pinizzotto are still playing in the NHL. Nothing changed today and it would appear that nothing will be changing in the near future. So hold onto your hats because this wild ride isn't over just yet.