After a less than stellar road trip, the Edmonton Oilers returned to Rexall Place to face the Ottawa Senators in an attempt to improve their "Eastern Domination". The only thing standing between them and a 7th win against an Eastern Conference team was the first period and sub-par goaltending.
The first period was interesting because I didn't get a chance to start watching the game right away because I was running some errands. By the time I sat down to watch the game it was already 3-0 for Ottawa and I knew it was going to be a long night.
- 19:14 - Jordan Eberle gets the first chance of the game by taking a shot from the top of the circle that Anderson saves Ryan Nugent-Hopkins was there for the rebound but the puck bounced over his stick.
- 18:49 - Milan Michalek gets a good chance in close off of a feed from Mika Zibanejad but Ben Scriven stops it and holds the rebound.
- 16:27 G - This goal actually starts with a clearing attempt by Justin Schultz that only makes it centre ice. The Oilers change up the forwards this allows Mike Hoffman to enter the zone untouched. Schultz just keeps backing up allowing Hoffman to shoot from top of the faceoff circle. Scrivens' appears to have the angle but can't glove it and the puck goes in.
- 10:19 - Iiro Pakarinen makes a nice move around Erik Karlsson and gets a really nice chance but Craig Anderson stops it.
- 7:09 G - Nugent-Hopkins loses a faceoff to Kyle Turris. Benoit Pouliot tries to get the puck out but Karlsson gets there first and gets the puck to Clarke MacArthur. Eberle tries to pressure but MacArthur gets the puck over to Chris Phillips who blasts a shot from the point. Alex Chiasson gets his stick on it and tips it in past Scrivens.
- 6:10 - David Perron gains the zone and gets a pass over to Nail Yakupov who makes a slap pass to Mark Arcobello. With a wide open net Arcobello cannot handle the pass and fans on his shot attempt.
- 5:22 - Keith Aulie and Chris Neil fight and we get this gem on Twitter:
- 4:19 G - Zibanejad gains the and makes a short pass over to Bobby Ryan. Meanwhile Eberle's man, Michalek, streaks down the middle into the slot and is given a nice pass from Ryan. Michalek makes no mistake and gets the easy goal agains Scrivens.
- 3:43 PK - Teddy Purcell trips Turris
What more can one say it was an ugly period of hockey for the Oilers. There were some nice chances here and there but goaltending and defence just killed them.
- 19:15 - Schutlz starts this by almost scoring on his own net. He then takes the puck behind the net and loses it to Zibanejad. In an attempt to get the puck back Schultz trips Zibanejad and the Oilers are back on the PK.
- 16:54 - Yakupov being manahndled by Eric Grabya is able to get the leave the puck behind the net for Arcobello. Arcobello attempts a wrap around that trickles to the far side of the net. Schultz tries to jump on the loose puck but loses his stick in the process and can't get the loose puck.
- 16:43 PP - Aulie throws a big hit on Neil. Gryba jumps in to "protect" his teammate and fights Aulie. Gryba gets the instegator as well as a 10 minute misconduct.
- 14:57 - Eberle feeds a pass to Nugent-Hopkins over at the faceoff dot. Nugent-Hopkins makes a great pass to Pouliot who is wide open infront of the net but the puck bounces off of his stick and goes to the corner. Arcobello is there to get the puck and releases it immediately but hits the side of the net.
- 14:54 PK - Arcobello slashes Cody Ceci after the missed shot. It is a 4v4 situtation for 11 seconds before Ottawa goes to the PP
- 12:42 - Chiasson and MacArthur get behind all of the Oilers on a rush. Chiasson holds the puck for as long as he can then makes the pass over to MacArthur who has 100% of the open net but some how (and I've watched it 4x already and I can't figure it out) the puck does not cross the goal line but instead follows MacArthur to the corner. It turns out to be Jeff Petry but I still can't see what happened. (Finally saw it: Petry's stick gets in the way and makes the puck go barely wide)
- 11:59 - Eberle is on a line with Purcell & Leon Draisaitl?
- 8:35 PP - Arcobello, making his way into the zone, gets a high stick from Mark Borowiecki
- 7:03 G - Perron keeps the puck alive at the blue line and makes a pass over to Nikita Nikitin. Nikitin sends a pass back to Perron that is a bit tough to handle but Perron regains the puck and takes a shot on net. Anderson kicks out the rebound and Draisaitl is there to bury it.
- 2:17 PP - After a shot on net by the Oilers that Anderson freezes, Neil roughs up Perron and gets 2 minutes.
- 0:33 - Purcell fans on a shot and loses the puck and his possisioning. This leads to a 2 on 1 for Chiasson and Michalek. Instead of taking away the pass, Schultz goes down (way too early) to block the shot. Luckily for Schultz, Purcell gets back in time to force the shot. Scrivens comes up with the biggest stop of the game so far and keeps it alive trying to keep the PP going.
In the second the Oilers decided to wake up. Scrivens played a better game and overall the team just looked better.
- 16:58 PK - Pouliot gets tangled up with Karlsson and gets the 2 minutes for roughing.
- 15:25 - Karlsson gets the puck in his own zone and goes end to end. He doesn't get a shot initially but then plays the puck back to Turris at the point who immediately gives the puck back to Karlsson. This play causes Matt Hendricks to lose an edge and he ends up on the ice. This allows Karlsson to walk in and take a good shot from the top of the circle.
- 10:25 G - Eberle scores with Nugent-Hopkins crashing the net. Pouliot makes the first attempt that trickles just wide. Nugent-Hopkins can't get a stick on the puck but it goes right out to Eberle who puts the backhand in the net.
- 10:47 - After gaining the zone Eberle gets a great pass over to Nugent-Hopkins that gives him a partial break. The shot hits Anderson in the mask and stays out
- 6:15 G - Nugent-Hopkins gets a pass from Schultz behind the Oilers net. What Nugent-Hopkins does next shows us just how much he has grown this season. After exiting the zone untouched, Nugent-Hopkins dances through 3 Ottawa players at center ice and gains the zone. Pouliot heads towards the net while 2 defenders converge Nugent-Hopkins. Nugent-Hopkins makes a great pass to Petry at the point who blasts a lazer past Anderson. It is a thing of beauty.
- 5:34 - Andrew Ference tries to clear the zone with a weak shot around the boards. Jared Cowen gets to the puck and just shoots it on net. The puck takes a strange bounce and almost fools Scrivens. Scrivens scrambles and makes the stop David Legwand.
- 3:38 - From behind the goal line Perron gets a pass out to Yakupov who is streaking into the slot but Anderson makes the stop and no one is there to get the rebound.
- 3:32 - 4v4 Smith interferes with Perron but both go off as Perron gets called for embelishment.
- 1:35 PP - Pouliot goes in on a partial break but can't get a good shot away because Borowiecki holds him up. Oilers head to the PP
So the Oilers decided that they would make a game of it. Tie it up and force some extra time.
- 5:00 - Oilers start OT with the PP
- 4:33 - Eberle gets a shot away just as the PP expires but hits the cross bar
- 2:21 G - This play starts with Karlsson gaining the zone with a controlled entry at 2:39. He gets the puck to Hoffman at the halfboards. There is a bit of a fight for the puck but it eventially gets back to Karlsson who takes a shot that misses but also takes Perron's stick with it. Cowen retreives the puck in the corner and gets it over to Lazar. Lazar gets the puck over to Hoffman in the slot. Scrivens gets a piece of Hoffman's shot but can't hold it as it just trickles in behind him to end OT.
So the night wasn't a total waste. The Oilers were able to pull a point out of a game that seemed to be totally lost in the first. It wasn't pretty but a point is a point sometimes and hopefully the Oilers can build on it and they'd better. 12 of their next 13 games are against Western Conference teams and we all know what their record looks like against the West.
A final note on the game is that Jordan Eberle's goal was his 100th goal of his career so it was a pretty cool moment even if the game didn't end the way we had hoped.