|15-30-5, .700 p/g||Ranks||21-23-5, .960 p/g|
|Western Conference - 14th||Western Conference: 12th|
Hockey Day In Canada
The City of Lloydminster is host to this year's Hockey Day In Canada, an all-day event for everyone to celebrate their love for all things about Canada's favourite game. The Oilers are in Winnipeg for a noon start. Because of such an early start, you might want to set your PVR before noon if you want to catch the rest of the games, as there'a fair chance you'll need to be good and liquored up by the time the third period of this game rolls around. Onward.
Have Some Of This
It's been a pretty interesting 36 hours in Oil Country. Let me tell you about them.
- Ben Scrivens and Matt Hendricks played their first game for Edmonton on Thursday night. Surprising absolutely no one, sending Devan Dubnyk to Nashville and putting Ben Scrivens in his place did little for the woeful Oilers, as they succumbed to the Wild 4-1.
- Nail Yakupov probably has a concussion after getting drilled by Matt Cooke. Lucky for Yakupov, having a concussion will probably keep him from getting maligned in Eakins' post game presser. What a joke.
- Ales Hemsky missed Thursday's and is back in Edmonton with a swollen ankle after taking a slap shot from Luke Gazdic. With both Hemsky and Yakupov slated to be out for this one, you'll find Ryan Jones in the top six. You can thank me later.
The Oilers are saying
"No hidden message behind it. Wish I had a better answer for you. Speculation is your job"
That's Oilers goalie Ben Scrivens to Edmonton Journal writer Jim Matheson. Matheson asked Scrivens why he wore sweater number 54 in Los Angeles.
If I can't have a good hockey club (or a marginally good hockey club), I at least want my players to be entertaining quotes. I wasn't wild about the Bryzgalov signing, but at least he's been dynamite with the media. I've paid attention to about a day and a half of The Ben Scrivens Experience™, and I like what I see so far.
I don't have many positive expectations for the season's end, but signing at least one of the goaltenders we currently have to play in 2014-15 sounds like a pretty good idea. Let's try and not drive this one insane too soon. It's a tall order, I know.
The Opponent is saying
"I know this: Dallas Eakins did not need at any point my help"
- Oilers are going with Ilya Bryzgalov (3-7-2, 3.27 /.902 SV%) this afternoon between the pipes. Bryzgalov's a big hit in Winnipeg. Ondrej Pavelec (13-19-4, 3.05 /.899) is likely to get the nod for the Jets.
- Roster hi-jinks from yesterday's practice: Perron-Gagner-Jones is a thing. Gazdic-Arcobello-Joensuu is also a thing. At least Boyd Gordon is still playing centre, and Ryan Smyth away from the dot.
- Hey, is that Dustin Byfuglien playing foward again? Sure is. Byfuglien's got a goal and a couple of assists in his last two games up front, and he'll be there again today. Byfuglien is third in scoring among defenders.
- The Oilers are having what could be the worst season in the team's history. How bad is it really? Pretty terrible. The '92-'93 Oilers finished an 84 game season at 26-50-8, good for sixty points. 2009-10 and 2010-11 saw the Oilers hit 62 points in consecutive seasons. If this year's Oilers continue to play at their current level, they're on pace for about 25 wins. If the team wins 25 games, they'll need to go 10-15-6 over the next 31, which would give them 61 points on the year, which is pretty disgusting.
- There's always next year. Another ELC will begin, and the rebuild will live on and on and on.
The Edmonton Oilers
Taylor Hall - Ryan Nugent-Hopkins - Jordan Eberle
David Perron - Sam Gagner- Ryan Jones
Matt Hendricks - Boyd Gordon - Ryan Smyth
Luke Gazdic - Mark Arcobello - Jesse Joensuu
Andrew Ference - Justin Schultz
Nick Schultz - Anton Belov
Jeff Petry - Martin Marincin
The Winnipeg Jets
Andrew Ladd - Bryan Little - Michael Frolik
Chris Thorburn - Mark Scheifele - Blake Wheeler
Devin Setoguchi - Olli Jokinen - Dustin Byfuglien
James Wright - Eric O'Dell - Anthony Peluso
Zach Bogosian - Tobias Enstrom
Mark Stuart - Jacob Trouba
Adam Pardy - Keaton Ellerby