Who are the league's best and worst owners? We'll find out below.
Below is a table containing the overall records, win % (OTL included as a L) and percent of seasons the team has made the playoffs under each owner:
|Team||Owner||W||L||OTL||Win %||Playoff %|
|Detroit Red Wings||Mike Ilitch||1231||809||88||0.578||0.90|
|Boston Bruins||Jeremy Jacobs||1486||1002||109||0.572||0.86|
|Chicago Blackhawks||Rocky Wirtz||248||136||51||0.570||0.80|
|Vancouver Canucks||Francesco Aquilini||340||193||64||0.570||0.71|
|San Jose Sharks||Sharks Ent. Enterprises||421||233||86||0.569||0.89|
|New Jersey Devils||Jeffery Vanderbeek||337||210||52||0.563||0.86|
|St. Louis Blues||Tom Stillman||13||9||2||0.542||NA|
|Anaheim Ducks||Henry & Susan Samueli||273||181||60||0.531||0.67|
|Colorado Avalanche||Stan Kroenke||465||341||75||0.528||0.64|
|Ottawa Senators||Eugene Melnyk||352||246||73||0.525||0.75|
|Nashville Predators||Predators Holdings LLC||215||152||46||0.521||0.80|
|Washington Capitals||Ted Leonsis||487||377||92||0.509||0.67|
|Dallas Stars||Tom Gaglardi||46||39||7||0.500||0.00|
|Toronto Maple Leafs||M.L.S.E||482||386||97||0.499||0.42|
|New York Rangers||MSG||2560||2482||91||0.499||0.64|
|Pittsburgh Penguins||Mario Lemieux & Ron Burkle||482||402||86||0.497||0.67|
|Tampa Bay Lightning||Jeff Vinik||102||86||21||0.488||0.33|
|Carolina Hurricanes||Peter Karmanos||528||470||87||0.487||0.36|
|Buffalo Sabres||Terrence Pegula||64||50||18||0.485||0.50|
|Montreal Canadiens||Molson Family||131||103||38||0.482||0.67|
|Minnesota Wild||Craig Leipold||183||160||46||0.470||0.20|
|Los Angeles Kings||AEG||579||557||95||0.470||0.44|
|Winnipeg Jets||True North Sports||48||46||11||0.457||0.00|
|New York Islanders||Charles Wang||361||370||84||0.443||0.40|
|Florida Panthers||Cliff Viner & Stu Siegel||101||106||48||0.396||0.33|
|Columbus Blue Jackets||John McConnell||350||453||90||0.392||0.09|
|Edmonton Oilers||Daryl Katz||130||177||44||0.370||0.00|
*Records as of 3/9/2013
Items of note:
- Mike Ilitch is really amazing. He took a franchise that was in the toilet and turned it into one of the greatest franchises in sports. Maybe it was just his management and he was hands off - but he's a smart enough manager to stay hands off and let good management work. There are other examples in this list of owners muddling in operations and apathetic owners letting bad management run their teams into the ground, but Ilitch knows what he's doing with the Red Wings.
- In four years, Daryl Katz has already missed the playoffs more than Mike Ilitch has in 29 years. If the Oilers miss the playoffs again this season, Katz will have missed the playoffs the same amount of times that Jeremy Jacobs has in 37 years.
- The NHL should take over the ownership and operations of more teams. They're the 8th-most successful owner in the league, and the only owner to make the playoffs 100% of seasons owned.
- Henry & Susan Samueli aren't recognized as good owners, but the teams they've owned have been very good. Of course, it helps when they're gifted Chris Pronger, but still, the numbers don't lie.
- Another not-often-mentioned ownership group is Predators Holdings, LLC under the direction (or wallet) of David Freeman. The Predators are a winning club and have 4 playoff appearances in 5 years and they've shelled out the dough to keep Pekka Rinne and Shea Weber.
- Maple Leafs fans decry MLSE, but it could be worse. Far, far worse.