|17-16-4, 1.028 p/g||Ranks||13-24-3, .726 p/g|
|Eastern Conference: 8th||Western Conf: 13th|
- Oilers played a snoozefest in Calgary, but emerged victorious 2-0. Snoozefest? The greatest game ever, is more like it. Ryan Smyth scored a pair, his twelfth and thirteenth point on the year. Boyd Gordon had a pair of assists, and Devan Dubnyk collected his second shutout of the year turning aside 27 shots. Oilers will try for the elusive third consecutive victory tonight against Philadelphia.
The Oilers are saying:
"Something that came unexpected has been his work with Yakupov and Belov. A great example was in the Anaheim game, there was six minutes left on the clock, and Yak got ahold of the puck a couple of times and..not decisions that we loved, and not anything that cost us and the whistle went, there was a time out, and Yak sat down in front of me and I was juuuuust about to lean into him, and talk to him about his play, and there was a time out, and Bryz was already in front of me...it was a one-sided conversation, Bryz wasn't yelling, it was an even tone, and they were going on in their native tongue. Bryz was like "da-da-da, da-da-da," pointed at the clock, "da da da, da da da, da da da," and I thought I knew what he was saying, and when he was all done, I tapped Yak on the shoulder and said "he's right".
That's Oilers coach Dallas Eakins on Ilya Bryzgalov's unexpected windfalls.
No doubt it's nice that someone can converse with players in their native language. Even nicer when Coach turns it into a long lost one hit wonder.
The Opponent is saying:
"It shouldn't matter if you're playing at home or away. You need to play with the same intensity and play the same way. I think we just need to get focused when we play on the road"
That's Flyers forward Claude Giroux on staying focused while on the road.
Fifteen games into the season, the Flyers were 4-10-1. Then, the Oilers came to town. The Flyers have gone 13-6-3 since then. You're welcome, Flyers.
Philadelphia begins a six game road trip tonight in Edmonton. The Flyers are 6-9-4 on the road this year.
- Martin Marincin will get in for Corey Potter tonight. Eakins reports Potter "pulled his groin" last night.
- Bryzgalov (2-4, 2.80/.915%) shrugged off the buildup to this evening's game with his former club. No sweat, right?
- Coach Eakins says that Yakupov has earned "the right" to be back on the power play tonight. That's sporting of him, as getting to see the number one overall pick from the 2012 draft end up with six minutes of ice time per night was getting to be a drag, man.
- Steve Mason (14-9-4, 2.35/ .923%) is having the best year in his career. I'm fairly certain everyone thought Phialdelphia's goaltending situation was cobbled together rather poorly, but Mason looks pretty good half a year in. Since getting some new equipment in 2012, Mason hasn't looked half bad.
Projected Lines & Pairings:
The Edmonton Oilers
Anton Belov - Martin Marincin