|11-20-3, .736 p/g||Ranks||22-7-5, 1.442 p/g|
|Western Conf: 14th||Western Conf: 2nd|
- Oilers failed to score a goal in Friday's 4-0 soul sucking loss to the Canucks. The loss is Edmonton's 20th of the season, they're the second team in the league to break the 20 loss plateau. They'd be the first, but the Sabres (incredibly) got there a few games ago.
- Ilya Bryzgalov is active for today's game against the Ducks, and it seems to reason that he'll be getting his first start since he was injured on December 1st of this month. Should Bryzgalov get the start, it would be his fifth appearance for Edmonton.
The Oilers are saying:
"It's hard to get a shot on the net from your own zone. That would be one problem."
That's Oilers coach Dallas Eakins after Edmonton's 4-0 defeat at the hands of the Canucks
Coach Eakins is wise. Getting shots on goal from your own zone is tough. Matter of fact, I'm not sure how often it happens, maybe once or twice every dozen or so games, when the clock is about to hit zero? Canucks goaltender Roberto Luongo had to turn aside just 19 Oiler shots en route to a shutout, while 40 shots were launched at Devan Dubnyk. The Canucks pushed the Oilers around nearly the entire game, and it showed in the shot totals, as well as on the score sheet.
The Opponent is saying:
"We're definitely missing some key guys right now, and guys that will hopefully come back ready and strong and contribute right away...they've certainly been missed"
How many Ducks have been out with injuries? Well...a few. Defencemen Sheldon Souray, Francois Beauchemin, Luca Sbisa, forwards Jakob Silfverberg and Mathieu Perreault, and goaltender Viktor Fasth. Not to worry though, Cam Fowler, the Ducks have been holding their own in the absence of these players. Anaheim is tied for fourth in goals scored with 3.12 per game, they're also seventh in shots allowed with 31.9. They currently lead the Pacific Division, ahead of the Kings, Sharks, and those wily Vancouver Canucks. Only the Blackhawks have more points in the NHL than the Anaheim Ducks, and that's not too bad.
- FEEL THE BURN. After a feel good 7-3-1 run, the Oilers have dropped their last two by a combined score of 8-2.
- Should Ilya Bryzgalov get the start tonight, it will be his fifth appearance for the Oilers. Bryzgalov is 1-1 in four games with a ..939 SV%. Hope you're limber for this one, Bryz.
- DID YOU KNOW? Former Oiler Dustin Penner is tied for third in scoring on Anaheim with 23 points in 27 games played. I don't think Penner's going to click like that all year, but a 50+ point season will likely have him grinning from ear to ear come July 1st. Not bad for a guy who signed a $2M deal late in the offseason. Penner has 17 more points than Toronto's David Clarkson, who will average over 5 million a season until 2019-20.
- Former Oiler Andrew Cogliano is on pace for a 40 point season on a line with Saku Koivu and Daniel Winnik.
Projected Lines & Pairings:
The Edmonton Oilers
The Anaheim Ducks
Daniel Winnik - Saku Koivu - Andrew Cogliano
Cam Fowler - Ben Lovejoy