The schedule for the Oilers 40th season (or 33rd if you choose to ignore history) was released today by the NHL. The regular season kicks off on October 9 at home against Sidney Crosby and the Pittsburgh Penguins. For those of you starting to get twitchy without Oilers hockey, October 9 is just 108 days from today. That's not too far away is it? You can wait that long, right?
Some other schedule highlights.
- The arrival of the Washington Capitals and Alex Ovechkin on October 27.
- Calgary doesn't get here until December 3; they also play in Edmonton in January and March.
- Hopefully Vancouver gets off to a slow start as the Oilers host them twice in the first eight games of the season.
- Ottawa visits on November 17
- Rexall Place will be infested with Leaf fans on February 15
- Montreal fans will take over the building on March 8
- The Stanley Cup Champion Boston Bruins don't travel to Edmonton this year meaning we'll have to wait a year to thank them for knocking off Vancouver.
- Oh yeah and the Oilers play Winnipeg once this year, in Winnipeg. The Winnipeg Somethings won't be playing in Edmonton this season. That game in Winnipeg is on February 27, if you want to travel to Winnipeg at that time of year good on you.