Particularly if you're trying to fix their problems:
- 5-on-5 Goals For: 152 (7th in the West)
- 5-on-5 Goals Against: 150 (10th in the West)
- Powerplay Percentage: 17.0% (10th in the West)
- Penalty-killing Percentage: 77.5% (14th in the West)
- Faceoff Percentage: 47.9% (13th in the West)
None of these numbers are especially good, but I see two in particular that rank right at the bottom of the Western Conference; a pair that could be fixed simultaneously and inexpensively. Moreover, a pair of urgent problems that none of Chris Neil, Nikolai Khabibulin, or Dany Heatley will especially help.
Now, I'm not an NHL GM, but it seems to me that when your team's greatest statistical weakness could be greatly helped by signing Samuel Pahlsson or John Madden or Manny Malhotra or Dominic Moore or Radek Bonk, it behooves you to move quickly to get it done rather than frittering away your hours pursuing players from Ottawa who are either a) superfluous or b) crazy.